comparing the Coda of Beethoven 9 by Furtwängler

Very interesting
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
    comparing the Coda of Beethoven 9 by Furtwängler

Very interesting
    Very interesting indeed. And I'm amazed at the number of surviving recordings of this and other works under this conductor's baton.

Comment

• Chris Newman
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Some of them are astonishing! I think I would settle for the Lucerne (Philharmonia) 1954 version.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
        Some of them are astonishing! I think I would settle for the Lucerne (Philharmonia) 1954 version.
        So would I. Some of them seem a mad scramble to the finishing line, the recording equipment of the day unable to cope with the tumult.

I have most of these but am intrigued by the May 30 1953 Vienna performance claimed as newly-discovered. Is a CD trandfer available? The 1943 Stockholm account is also absent from my shelves.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Alf-Prufrock

I am afraid I would say that the only Furtwängler performance that measures up to the Toscanini is the Lucerne one. I notice that this was with the Philharmonia, which says a lot for them. They do not pale besides the BPO and the VPO and others.

Comment

• PJPJ
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            So would I. Some of them seem a mad scramble to the finishing line, the recording equipment of the day unable to cope with the tumult.

I have most of these but am intrigued by the May 30 1953 Vienna performance claimed as newly-discovered. Is a CD trandfer available? The 1943 Stockholm account is also absent from my shelves.
            30 May 1953 is on ICA:

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

With Stockholm '43 as "runner - and boy does it run! - up". So much detail lost in those early recordings: just cymbals, Timps and the odd piccolo note - even the trumpets get lost in the mesh of noise!

And isn't there a difference between the pre- and Wartime recordings (which leap immediately into the breathless Prestissimo) and those from after the War which have a couple of bars accelerando?
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Chris Newman
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

There are moments when I wonder if Furtwangler experimented with double or even quadruple percussion. On more than one occasion I would swear I hear a Jingling-Johnny joining in for fun. Often it is a race between hugely inflated cybals and a battery of drums. I presume it was his habit of "beating" different tempi with each hand. Does anyone agree that it sounds as if he usually shuts his eyes and panics?

Comment

• Chris Newman
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Here is a full performance by a "rival" that I was lucky enough to attend. The fun thing is to watch out for which players and singers are beat-keeping for the rest. The end result was a miracle of performance.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Here is a full performance by a "rival" that I was lucky enough to attend. The fun thing is to watch out for which players and singers are beat-keeping for the rest. The end result was a miracle of performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0QSZjCo_IQ
                    And here is a Klemperer Prom from 1964. Much crisper. The New Philharmonia Orchestra again with a guest fiddler smuggled into the back row, Otto's comedy actor son, Werner, who was also a fine fiddler and baritone.

Comment

• PJPJ
                      • Nov 2010

And here is a Klemperer Prom from 1964. Much crisper. The New Philharmonia Orchestra again with a guest fiddler smuggled into the back row, Otto's comedy actor son, Werner, who was also a fine fiddler and baritone.
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                        Thanks PJPJ. I have the May 31 performance on a DG issue. Am I that much of an anorak that I want this one as well? Of course!
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Today I listened to the April 1942 version. The background noise is so bad that it sounds as though the performers are sitting in a field full of crickets and wind-chimes, perhaps with a West Indian steel band in the distance. The actual performance, however, is every bit as good as the famous 1951 Bayreuth version.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

The Lucerne performance is terrific - just shows you what a marvellous orchestra the Philharmonia was in those days .

Comment

Working...
                            X