X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

Performers not as described by the sleeve/booklet

On the bargains forum there's a suggestion that Reggie Goodall may have conducted large chunks of Brittens "own" recording of Peter Grimes.

I was also told by a singer friend that Tennstedt once stropped out of a choral recording and that the chorus master had to complete the last few bars!

Any other such stories - leaving aside the obvious Stravinsky/Craft and Joyce Hatto examples?
    Last edited by mathias broucek; 20-02-12, 19:37. Reason: Correction
  • Chris Newman
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Do you mean The Rape of Lucretia? There are three early versions: one supposedly with Britten and two with with Goodall.

This website says the Amsterdam performance with Ferrier of 1946 was not conducted by Britten but by Hans Oppenheim:

opera, oper, discography, discografia, CLOR, RAPE OF LUCRETIA , Benjamin Britten

If that is the case Britten did not record it until 1970 with Janet Baker.

Goodall recorded it twice; Once with Ferrier and then with Joan Cross

Peter Pears gave his last ever concert, a performance of Schutz's St Matthias Passion, in Bavaria, conducted by Oppy as he called Hans Oppenheim.

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
      On the bargains forum there's a suggestion that Reggie Goodall may have conducted large chunks of Brittens "own" recording.
      I think the suggestion is highly suspect.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Re Hatto, I see that Victoria Wood has written a TV play about the affair for BBC1. She is not in the play, but her recent wartime play Housewife 49, also based on true events was very touching.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Another equally famous example is Furtwangler's 1952 Tristan und Isolde in which Elisabeth Schwarzkopf sang some of the higher notes that Kirsten Flagstad couldn't reach. Ethical or deception? Can't make up my own mind.

There have been persistent rumours for years that Karajan finished off Furtwangler's EMI Walkure in 1954. Is there any truth in this?
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• PJPJ
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

There have been persistent rumours for years that Karajan finished off Furtwangler's EMI Walkure in 1954. Is there any truth in this?
            The recording sessions were 28th September to 6th October 1954; I have wondered whether some tidying up was needed afterwards. WF was diagnosed with pneumonia immediately after the sessions IIRC.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

There are probably endless examples in the non-classical world, particularly with the use of session musicians. I am often struck by how much better some of the backing singers are compared to some of the 'pop diva' lead singers. I remember Tom Jones relating a conversation with Elvis Presley, where EP ask Tom whether he had singers on stage to help him with some of the notes, Tom was naturally surprised as this was something he would never do.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                There are probably endless examples in the non-classical world, particularly with the use of session musicians. I am often struck by how much better some of the backing singers are compared to some of the 'pop diva' lead singers. I remember Tom Jones relating a conversation with Elvis Presley, where EP ask Tom whether he had singers on stage to help him with some of the notes, Tom was naturally surprised as this was something he would never do.
                And Elvis was waaaaay ahead of most of today's pop "singers" vocally.....

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

And Elvis was waaaaay ahead of most of today's pop "singers" vocally.....
                  Even if his tuning was not always spot on!

Comment

• mathias broucek
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    Even if his tuning was not always spot on!
                    A little more intonation a little less action, please?

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

A little more intonation a little less action, please?

It was always on his mind!

Comment

• mikealdren
                        • Nov 2010

The David OIstrakh recording of the 2nd Bartok concerto on Period or Melodiya was probably not him and has been variously attributed to Igor or Leonid Kogan. It's very harshly recorded but a good performance nonetheless.

Oistrakh's 1953 recording of Prokofiev's first concerto, has often been attributed to Prokofiev as conductor rather than Kondrashin.

Slightly differently, I have two CDs on Sterling Classics. One has Oistrakh playing double concertos: the Brahms and Mozart Sinfonia Concertante and the other has the Prokofiev (1) and Stravinsky concertos. The labels on the CDs are swapped. Luckily I bought both!

There's a CD around of Campoli playing the Mendessohn and Bruch (with Kisch) that only actually has the Mendelssohn, a shame because the Mendelssohn is widely available but the much loved Bruch has only been available as a download.

And of course the famous Lipatti performance of the First Chopin concerto that was eventually unmasked as being by Halina Czerny-StefaƄska.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X