X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karafan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Another phrase that doesn't "translate" into Ferneylese!

Many years ago, I decided to "downsize" my book and CD collection, ready to move house. Guess which boooks and CDs I most miss?

Never again!
    More power to your elbow, Ferney!
    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post

Agreed!

And, as for the home without books Dave.... (hangs head in state of utter despair)
      I'm guessing you approve of that!

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        I realise that one accumulates CDs over the years, but I do wonder at what people with such large collections do - I mean, do you spand all your waking hours listening to them (& do you live alone, so that you have total control over your time & what you do, or does your partner, if you have one, not mind if you are listening to CDs all trhe time?), or are there large numbers you don't ever listen to? I have the equivelant of about 3 such units, & there are CDs I haven't listened to in a long time. Most of my music listening is from Radio 3 or live concerts. I couldn't afford to buy so many, anyway - I doubt if I buy as much as one a month.

So maybe the answer to your storage problems is to stop buying & concentrate on the ones you have.
        You make some sensible and valid points. However there are perhaps some reasons why I do buy CDs. One is that on the whole I tend to optimise my buying for cost. There is an argument to be made for using downloads instead, but a lot of downloads are just not up to the standard of CDs. The ones that are often tend to be as expensive or even cost more than CDs.

Another reason is that some performances might at a future time become unavailable. I subscribe to Napster and to Spotify, and they have a really good collection, though I think the sound quality is still not as good as CD in many cases. Despite this, there are CDs I have, or even some which I'd like, which do not feature in services like Napster, Spotify and eMusic. Even if they did have such a huge collection that at the present time I could be sure that they have everything I would ever want to listen to, there is still a concern that they could withdraw recordings/performances with very little, if any, notice. I have already seen this happen with some performances I have been interested in, though I think in one case I'd already had the foresight to purchase the corresponding CD.

I am perhaps also anticipating that in the future CDs may be harder to obtain, and also my financial ability to purchase CDs, or a suitable equivalent form of musical content may be significantly reduced. At one point I even harboured thoughts of moving to a cheaper part of the country, where I could buy a mansion or castle with enough space to put all of the CDs and books I could ever possibly want/buy. This is now seeming less likely, and I may have to resort to buying lottery tickets!

Oh - regarding costs - just in case anyone wants to chip in - I think my annual CD costs and maybe even including the costs of going to concerts, are still less than many people pay in golf club subscriptions etc. Not that that's a good excuse, but I'm simply helping a different part of the UK (and others) economies by spending some of my (our?) spare cash on music, rather than on sporting activities.

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Ah the rational voice! I know you're right, Flossie but ....
          But I'm usually terribly irrational (at least, so my partner says )

Comment

• mathias broucek
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Oh - regarding costs - just in case anyone wants to chip in - I think my annual CD costs and maybe even including the costs of going to concerts, are still less than many people pay in golf club subscriptions etc. Not that that's a good excuse, but I'm simply helping a different part of the UK (and others) economies by spending some of my (our?) spare cash on music, rather than on sporting activities.
            When it comes to it, ours can be a very cheap hobby.

I went a bit potty a few months ago and purchased 65 CDs in one month*. However most of them cost me less than £2 per disc and the total will have been around £200. Yes, I'm fortunate that I can afford it, but many people spend as much or more on watching sport, eating out, new TVs etc.

* No, I haven't heard them all year - about 15 to go

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
              When it comes to it, ours can be a very cheap hobby.
              I went a bit potty a few months ago and purchased 65 CDs in one month*. However most of them cost me less than £2 per disc and the total will have been around £200. Yes, I'm fortunate that I can afford it, but many people spend as much or more on watching sport, eating out, new TVs etc.
              Exactly, when reading restaurant reviews for example, lunch for two inc. drinks £160. Nice food maybe, but is a good meal lasting 2 hours preferable to Beethoven's complete symphonies which will last a lifetime? No contest! Give me LvB every time. It's just a question of priorities. I would also point out, re the gasps of horror upthread that I had disposed of cds, the said cds were those that I had no idea of why I acquired them, Stevie Ray Vaughan, The Vines (?) etc., plus sundry poppy stuff like Gay Dad (?) and Anastacia (!) and Basement Jaxx (!!)
              Edit: Not that LvB will set you back £160 but you know what I mean ....

Comment

• mathias broucek
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                Not that LvB will set you back £160 but you know what I mean ....
                Agreed. But they can cost more.....

[url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Symphonies-Beethoven/dp/B000062UX2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329407917&sr=8-2

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Great idea, should be straightforward but I suspect there are a load of ah buts!

No Beef, the Bruckner 7's not on the table!
                  Slowly, slowly catchy monkey. I can wait!

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

This is a bit cheaper - http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-9-Sy.../dp/B000JU7N88

Then there's the download, which is just over £20.00 for those who like that sort of thing. Maybe this is one of those sets of recordings which is being squeezed out of production,
                      so that only MP3 or aac downloads will be available. Ugh!

Comment

• mathias broucek
                        • Nov 2010

The Jochum/Concertgebouw set is good but not as good as the stereo/mono DG set and nothing like as good as the sublime LSO set. I've got 3, 5, 6, 8 & 9 from the latter on LP and could really do with the rest. Can't believe I didn't snap them up when they were on EMI Eminence and could be found in every branch of Woolworths.....

Comment

Working...
                        X