Talking in cliches - compile your own list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panjandrum

I must admit to getting a bit irked lately with the amount of time given over to arrangements. For example, this weekend, Andy Mac played an extract from an arrangement for string orchestra of Grieg's String Quartet. Given he acknowledged that the original was "little known", what was the logic behind playing this version (which, pace Mac, did not sound idiomatic) in its new get-up? Given that only a small percentage of new releases can be played within the 180 minute, weekly format, this kind of obsession strikes me as mistaken. I'm quite happy for instrumentalists and groups to look to expand their repertory by making arrangements of pieces but let's keep CD Review sticking to pieces in the format in which they were composed.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
      I must admit to getting a bit irked lately with the amount of time given over to arrangements. For example, this weekend, Andy Mac played an extract from an arrangement for string orchestra of Grieg's String Quartet. Given he acknowledged that the original was "little known", what was the logic behind playing this version (which, pace Mac, did not sound idiomatic) in its new get-up? Given that only a small percentage of new releases can be played within the 180 minute, weekly format, this kind of obsession strikes me as mistaken. I'm quite happy for instrumentalists and groups to look to expand their repertory by making arrangements of pieces but let's keep CD Review sticking to pieces in the format in which they were composed.
      Off topic!

You don't know how much pleasure that gave me

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
        I must admit to getting a bit irked lately with the amount of time given over to arrangements.
        OH I don't know
        I love the way that the air can be arranged into interesting combinations of low and high pressure

Comment

• JFLL
          • Jan 2011

How about 'Live in Concert'? Time was when 'in concert' was only used of people, like, say Tony Bennett, to make it sound as though this was not just entertainment but a serious business. And if it's live, surely it must be 'in concert', What would 'live out of concert' be -- a rehearsal? The banal slogan (repeated ad nauseam, of course) seems just another example of R3 trying to ape more popular, less 'elitist' programmes, IMO.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

Another pet hate is "ON", as in - " Charles Farnsbarns on piano " or " Yehudi Baggins on violin " Possibly even "live in concert".

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
              How about 'Live in Concert'? Time was when 'in concert' was only used of people, like, say Tony Bennett, to make it sound as though this was not just entertainment but a serious business. And if it's live, surely it must be 'in concert', What would 'live out of concert' be -- a rehearsal? The banal slogan (repeated ad nauseam, of course) seems just another example of R3 trying to ape more popular, less 'elitist' programmes, IMO.
              yup, .........a bit like "free thinking" !!
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• JFLL
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                Another pet hate is "ON", as in - " Charles Farnsbarns on piano " or " Yehudi Baggins on violin " Possibly even "live in concert".
                Which reminds me, to R3 presenters it's usually 'Live in Concert from London's Wigmore Hall' or wherever. This use of the possessive with the name of a place always sticks in my throat. Is it an Americanism? Nobody here ever says, speaking naturally, 'I went to a very enjoyable concert at London's Festival Hall yesterday'. If it was necessary to particularize, we'd say 'at the Festival Hall in London'. Let's stick to British non-journalistic English while we still have it, then.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                  Which reminds me, to R3 presenters it's usually 'Live in Concert from London's Wigmore Hall' or wherever. This use of the possessive with the name of a place always sticks in my throat. Is it an Americanism? Nobody here ever says, speaking naturally, 'I went to a very enjoyable concert at London's Festival Hall yesterday'. If it was necessary to particularize, we'd say 'at the Festival Hall in London'. Let's stick to British non-journalistic English while we still have it, then.
                  With you there. But I also hate the mannered dropping of the indefinite article (not the presenters' fault, I think - it seems to be the branding fad of the age): "tonight's concert from Wigmore Hall" .. and there are other examples.
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    With you there. But I also hate the mannered dropping of the indefinite article (not the presenters' fault, I think - it seems to be the branding fad of the age): "tonight's concert from Wigmore Hall" .. and there are other examples.
                    Branding is exactly what it is, Caliban - when I worked there I was ticked off for answering the phone "The Wigmore Hall, good morning!" in my best Patricia Hughes-stylee

Comment

• JFLL
                      • Jan 2011

Agreed, Caliban. In fact if it was from Wigmore Hall it would be coming from a rather nice Tudor house of that name in Wigmore, Herefordshire!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Perhaps it's an affectation of fools in the capital led through the nose by marketing men... Last night's live concert was billed on the website as "Live from Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool" and the hand-over from Broadcasting House was the same...

... but then the announcer in situ said "Welcome to The Philharmonic Hall"...
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                        X