Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tony Halstead
    • Nov 2010

My 'tone' has been described on several occasions by the likes of Edward Greenfield and Ivan March as
    "braying".
    I don't know to this day whether it means "braying" ( bad, horrible)
    or " braying" ( good, interesting).

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
      well (assuming I have the right review) the two previous words in the sentence were "exceptionally rich" so I should imagine he was paying you a compliment

Comment

• JFLL
        • Jan 2011

"The Very Best of …" (supply your own 'icon', say, Alfie Boe, Katherine Jenkins, André Rieu, …)

The Best is no longer good enough, it seems. How will they next ratchet up the superlatives? Couldn't we have some British understatement for once, say 'Some Tolerably Good Bits by Alfie Boe' or 'Passably Enjoyable Performances by Katherine Jenkins' ... ?

And if Rob Cowan wishes me a 'very warm welcome' one more time …

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
          My 'tone' has been described on several occasions by the likes of Edward Greenfield and Ivan March as
          "braying".
          Donkeys bray don't they?

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            well (assuming I have the right review) the two previous words in the sentence were "exceptionally rich" so I should imagine he was paying you a compliment
            Much Nash-ing of teeth...
            Last edited by Guest; 18-04-12, 17:02.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
              Much Nashing of teeth...
              It's "Gnashing".

Oh sorry, wrong thread!

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                It's "Gnashing".

Oh sorry, wrong thread!
                I was punning, S-A.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                  I was punning, S-A.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                    "The Very Best of …" (supply your own 'icon', say, Alfie Boe, Katherine Jenkins, André Rieu, …)

The Best is no longer good enough, it seems. How will they next ratchet up the superlatives? Couldn't we have some British understatement for once, say 'Some Tolerably Good Bits by Alfie Boe' or 'Passably Enjoyable Performances by Katherine Jenkins' ... ?
                    It would help me cut my record back to managable proprtions (so as the keep Mrs LMP happy) if the record companies would come up with a definitive "Only Classical Best Of Album You'll Ever Need"

Though I'll probably need the Vol 2 as well...
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

A new (?) cliche must be "footfall", which I heard on R4 a couple of days ago in ref to residents making allegations of betting shops taking over town centres. A representative of the betting and gaming industry brought on Toady to answer criticisms stated that, contrary to allegations that shoppers were being deterred from visiting, betting shops created friendly atmospheres and more "footfall".

I'm presuming what he meant was custom, but... footfall??? What crazy term will the "business community" come up with next???

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        A new (?) cliche must be "footfall", which I heard on R4 a couple of days ago in ref to residents making allegations of betting shops taking over town centres. A representative of the betting and gaming industry brought on Toady to answer criticisms stated that, contrary to allegations that shoppers were being deterred from visiting, betting shops created friendly atmospheres and more "footfall".

I'm presuming what he meant was custom, but... footfall??? What crazy term will the "business community" come up with next???
                        SA: I read it in your post as "football" which brought intriguing pictures of more active sports activity in betting shops than I usually imagine, maybe with big bundles of screwed-up betting slips...

But footfall is a common term in retailing: it reflects the numbers of shoppers entering a shop or shopping centre. Your nice 'representative' was presumably saying that those flooding into town to visit all the betting shops that have replaced 'real shops' will also visit those few real shops that remain, presumably squandering all their winnings on the way home. Hmm, sounds perfectly plausible doesn't it?
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                          footfall is a common term in retailing: it reflects the numbers of shoppers entering a shop or shopping centre.
                          The equivalent of "bums on seats"?
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

With regard to the footfall correspondence, is everyone clear about the distinction between cliché, jargon and the process by which a nifty neologism becomes popular and thus might be perceived as overused?

Because I'm not

Comment

• rauschwerk
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              With regard to the footfall correspondence, is everyone clear about the distinction between cliché, jargon and the process by which a nifty neologism becomes popular and thus might be perceived as overused?

Because I'm not
                              Not sure I am either, but I'd classify footfall as retailing jargon and I would hope than any interviewer would ask for clarification.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                                Not sure I am either, but I'd classify footfall as retailing jargon and I would hope than any interviewer would ask for clarification.

Comment

Working...
                                X