X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Don Giovanni

After a disappointing trip to the ROH on Saturday I dug out my only recording of the piece the classic Giulini . Marvellous as it is and Sutherland , Sciutti and Schwarzkopf in particular knocked spots off Saturday's three female leads - I am in the market for a more recent version .

What is your favourite recording ? And shall I just stick with Giulini ?
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    After a disappointing trip to the ROH on Saturday I dug out my only recording of the piece the classic Giulini . Marvellous as it is and Sutherland , Sciutti and Schwarzkopf in particular knocked spots off Saturday's three female leads - I am in the market for a more recent version .

What is your favourite recording ? And shall I just stick with Giulini ?
    I'm almost inclined to reply "Yes"!

Maybe I'll revisit this thread later.

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

Well, I'm a fan of an even older recording of Don Giovanni, live from the Salzburg Festival in 1950, with a cast of Gobbi, Welitsch, Kunz, Dermota, Schwarzkopf, Seefried, Greindl and Poell, VPO conducted by Furtwängler. I also admire a more recent version (though still not recent) also live from the Salzburg Festival in 1977 with VPO in great form, conducted by Böhm and with a cast of Milnes, Tomowa-Sintow, Schreier, Zylis-Gara, Berry, Duesing, Mathis and Macurdy. I'm not that familiar with later versions as these two are so good (and I also go to live performances from time to time).

Comment

• Parry1912
        • Nov 2010

Have you heard Gardiner? The arrival of the stone guest will knock your socks off!

Haitink's is also excellent and can be got very cheaply on Amazon marketplace.
        Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Thomas Roth

Jacobs.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Nyman (In Re), recently reissued in a new remastering.

[I'll get me coat.]

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thomas Roth View Post
              Jacobs.
              Yes, I wd certainly second Thomas Roth's recommendation of the marvellous René Jacobs Don Giovanni on harmonia mundi. (Indeed, the entire continuing Jacobs Mozart is proving to be a revelation to me - you might also like to try his Idomeneo - Clemenza - Zauberflöte - Figaro - Così... )

I still enjoy the Giulini Don Giovanni - and indeed also the Colin Davis, Harnoncourt, Böhm, and Krips - but for me now those which I get most from are the Jacobs, Norrington, and Gardiner.

Comment

• aeolium
                • Nov 2010

I didn't care for the extracts from the Jacobs Zauberflöte that were played a year or so back as Disc of the Week on CD Review and haven't been tempted to hear any of his other Mozart opera recordings.

I did like Haitink's recording of Così, so would be interested to hear his DG.

Comment

• mikealdren
                  • Nov 2010

In addition to the Giulini, I've got the older Krips and Fricsay, both excellent.
                  Mike

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Giulini's must be one of his greatest achievements. Colin Davis - very good too.

I've yet to listen to Furtwangler in my huge box set, but it's next on my list.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

I realise I have the Furtwangler too but have not listened to it for years . Remember enjoying it but whenever I feel like listening to the DOn it is always Giulini I turn to .

Listening to Sutherland hitting her top notes with such accuracy is a sorry lesson for Saturday's Donna Anna who leapt in hope for them !

Comment

• aeolium
                        • Nov 2010

The Giulini recording was the first complete recording I heard, and it is indeed impressive - wonderful playing from the Philharmonia, and Sutherland is on good form as Donna Anna. I didn't think the rest of the cast was as strong, though, and although Sutherland's singing is excellent, her characterisation of Donna Anna was imo not as convincing - it brought to mind more an angry housewife than a wronged Spanish noblewoman determined on vengeance. Perhaps I would reconsider that view hearing it again, but compared with the fiery Welitsch on the Furtwängler set Sutherland just seemed somewhat tame.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

I like Waechter- for all the fact that his may not be the greatest voice to have assayed the part you do believe that he might be a successful seducer.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

The Guilini is superb. Unless you want a HIP version (and I third - ?fourth? - the Jacobs recommendation, adding Kuijiken's "cheap-as-chips version for those not captivated by Jacob's use of continuo) I can't think of a better performance of the work. Other "big band" recordings I like have been mentioned (the Fürtwängler and Davis) except for Karajan's - his best Mozart recording since the '50s.
                            But all "trumped" by Giulini.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

For many years I lived with the Böhm/Prague/Fischer-Dieskau on LP. I enjoyed it very much and played it till the grooves wore out but it was the only recording I owned and I think I was not greatly aware of some of its shortcomings. Reri Grist is a complete delight as Zerlina and still probably my favourite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBe1YfyqL0o

I am aware of the merits of the Giulini. I once chatted to Waechter's daughter in Germany and probably like many people whom she meets for the first time, I started going on about her father's famous Don. However, I don't completely enjoy Taddei's sometimes over-characterised, funny-voice Leporello. The two CD versions I have are the 1955 Krips (with a, for me, far preferable Fernando Corena as Leporello and an exquisite Elvira in Lisa della Casa who I could not live without) and the more recent live Gardiner set.

Comment

Working...
                              X