X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Quiter agree withnyou there, FF. The musicis certainly more deserving than it is at the moment.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
      Interesting composer, not really top league, but IMO certainly not 2nd rate.
      Beautiful music nontheless.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        I only have one disc with Dyson's music - the Three Rhapsodies (now playing!) for string quartet. Very turn of the century English - the liner notes say: 'Derivative the music may be, but it is non-academic, warming and beautiful and sings ...' More in the manner of Parry and Stanford, it's suggested, than Elgar or RVW.

(c/w Howells' In Gloucestershire).
        Yes, a lovely CD that one FF.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          Yes, a lovely CD that one FF.
          One of those serendipitous purchases - second hand - though it was the Howells (aka String Quartet No 3) that attracted my attention.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

I have enjoyed the amount of Dyson released in recent years, almost none of which I knew. One piece was already very well known, though we didn't realise it.

In 1918, when the RAF was formed out of the RFC and RNAS, they appointed Henry Walford Davies as Director of Music. Among his contributions was the famous RAF March - but it was shorter then than now. After two years, Davies stepped down and George Dyson was appointed. Dyson extended the RAF March by adding the trio section, with its broad melody, before a recap of Davies's march. However, when it was subsequently published, it was all credited to Davies. Dyson seems not to have minded, and nothing was known of this until papers were found after Dyson's death. There is now at least one modern edition that does credit both composers.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Vert intereswtin g to read that, pabmusic. thank you.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                I have enjoyed the amount of Dyson released in recent years, almost none of which I knew. One piece was already very well known, though we didn't realise it.

In 1918, when the RAF was formed out of the RFC and RNAS, they appointed Henry Walford Davies as Director of Music. Among his contributions was the famous RAF March - but it was shorter then than now. After two years, Davies stepped down and George Dyson was appointed. Dyson extended the RAF March by adding the trio section, with its broad melody, before a recap of Davies's march. However, when it was subsequently published, it was all credited to Davies. Dyson seems not to have minded, and nothing was known of this until papers were found after Dyson's death. There is now at least one modern edition that does credit both composers.
                Thanks Pabmusic, never knew that

Comment

Working...
                X