• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

George Dyson: Three Songs of Courage

Is there (or has there been) a recording of Dyson's Three Songs of Courage? I remember singing them in the choir at school, and I simply loved the second of these "The Seekers". But I've never tracked down a recording. Any pointers will be appreciated.
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

The Seekers seems to be included on this disc

not a choir though obviously

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

I can't find "Three Songs of Courage", Alpie, but there is a "Three Songs of Valour" on Hyperion CDH 55046.

The Seekers alone is on Dutton CDLX 7199.*

Apologies if this just covers area you've already researched and hope it's useful to you.

EDIT: * == this is the disc mercia mentions.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Thanks to you both. I'll order the Dutton CD and keep searching for a choral version.
        I have the music and keep playing it on the piano.

Comment

• Anna

Resurrection of old thread, did anyone hear the George Dyson broadcast this afternoon? His Canterbury Pilgrims at the 3 Three Choirs?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            Resurrection of old thread, did anyone hear the George Dyson broadcast this afternoon? His Canterbury Pilgrims at the 3 Three Choirs?
            Thank the lord for iPlayer! I wanted to catch this. Many thanks for the reminder
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

I know nothing about Dyson, but I thought this broadcast was lovely and, should I know more about him? I think he does have some fans here.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Thanks for this, Anna.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

I know nothing about Dyson, but I thought this broadcast was lovely and, should I know more about him? I think he does have some fans here.
                  I am a big fan of Dyson's music Anna and have a few cds.
                  I did flag up the Canterbury Pilgrims here http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...ning-to/page45 admittedly cutting it a bit fine.I couldn't listen this afternoon but will catch on i player.
                  Don't know of a recording of the songs of courage though.
                  I can recommend the Symphony,Violin Concerto and of course Canterbury Pilgrims (Hickox) if you want to get to know more of his music

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Totally right, Anna. Revelation.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                      • Nov 2010

Heard a good deal of the very interesting interval interview with Paul Spicer (who has written a biog of the composer) and most of the second half. Even in the car, I was struck by the excellent diction and the thorough characterisations. This was at least as good as Hickox's fine recording.

Comment

• Roehre

I like Dyson's music, but generally speaking more his instrumental than his vocal works.
                        The Canterbury Pilgrims (even in a suite as prepared by Christopher Palmer) doesn't convince me entirely, though I think the Overture At the Tabard's Inn (derived from it) is a rather strong piece nevertheless.
                        At the other side: if you love e.g. Moeran's Symphony in g you will discover a lot in Dyson's symphony in the same key (and try to find out where the 3rd mvt ends and the finale begins...).

The violin concerto is a gem, and the smaller, more intimate concerti da camera, da chiesa and legigiero are very enjoyable, as are his (early) rhapsodies for string quartet.
                        Interesting composer, not really top league, but IMO certainly not 2nd rate.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Well, Sir George Dyson has been served very well on Chandos. Worth having a look on there site.
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Ariosto

**Dyson: Three Songs of Courage**

I'm sure one was called "the cleaner we are." I think it is a turbo-charged number ...

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

I only have one disc with Dyson's music - the Three Rhapsodies (now playing!) for string quartet. Very turn of the century English - the liner notes say: 'Derivative the music may be, but it is non-academic, warming and beautiful and sings ...' More in the manner of Parry and Stanford, it's suggested, than Elgar or RVW.

(c/w Howells' In Gloucestershire).
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X