X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Ashkenazy's Elgar

I have received notification of this new release. Ashkenazy has already recorded most of the orchestral music:

Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius & Cello Concerto. ABC Classics: ABC4764297. Buy download online. Mark Tucker (tenor), Lilli Paasikivi (mezzo-soprano) & David Wilson-Johnson (bass baritone), Jian Wang (cello) Sydney Symphony, Sydney Philharmonia Choirs & TSO Chorus, Vladimir Ashkenazy
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
    Ashkenazy has already recorded most of the orchestral music:
    Isn't that a tweeny weeny bit of an exaggeration? Two symphonies, one concerto, Enigma Vaviations, serenade and an overture to date...

But on the general point, any Elgar performance beyond these shores is to be welcomed.

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Isn't that a tweeny weeny bit of an exaggeration? Two symphonies, one concerto, Enigma Vaviations, serenade and an overture to date...

But on the general point, any Elgar performance beyond these shores is to be welcomed.
      No, it's not a teeny weeny (or even tweeny weeny) bit of an exaggeration. It's a huge one, even if you include the P & C Marches. I posted it very late.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Not wanting to appear tight-fisted and not to prejudge but these issues look rather expensive and short measured CDs, particularly coming from a conuctor not usually associated with Elgar. At half the price I would think differently and worth a try!

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Isn't that a tweeny[sic] weeny bit of an exaggeration? Two symphonies, one concerto, Enigma Vaviations, serenade and an overture to date...

Well how about "most of the orchestral music" worth bothering with.

[I'll get me bike.]

Comment

• Mr Pee
            • Nov 2010

I love Gerontius, I think it an absolutely miraculous work, so any new recording will be of interest. However, the reviews I've seen for Ashkenazy's Elgar have been somewhat mixed thus far, so I will wait and see on this one I think.
            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
            X