X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Black Swan
    • Sep 2024

Sibelius: The Tempest. best recording

This is a work I am unfamiliar with and would like get a recording. I see there are a few available, either 2 Concert Suites or 1 recording of the complete score. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

John
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

Not an easy question to answer. The 2010 Penguin Guide recommends several CDs of orchestral pieces by Sibelius that include The Tempest, but none of the reviews actually mentions that work. They strongly recommend a 15 CD set from BIS: BIS (DDD/ADD) CD 1697/1700 (15). Before you take fright at the thought of buying 15 CDs, this sounds like an outstanding bargain, "15 CDs for the cost of four." You get all seven symphonies, violin concerto, Lemminkainen Legends, lots of orchestral pieces, chamber music, songs - a pretty complete survey. Various performers, but apparently Osmo Vanska is the most frequent conductor.

If you dont want to shell out the price of four full price (I assume) CDs, there is a single BIS disc (BIS CD 448) which includes The Tempest Prelude and Suites 1 and 2, with the Gothenburg SO conducted by Jarvi. Recommended as a "key recording."

The Tempest is not a work that gets played much. I've just looked through my discs and I have only one complete recording, a 1973 LP from HMV (ASD 2961) with Charles Groves and the Royal Liverpool PO. I'm very happy with it, but I dont know if it was ever transferred to CD.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

The Rough Guide to classical music recommends this BIS recording:

The Tempest (complete incidental music)

Performer: Kirsi Tiihonen, Lilli Paasikivi, Anssi Hirvonen, Heikki Keinonen
      Orchestra: Lahti Opera Chorus, Lahti Symphony Orchestra
      Conductor: Osmo Vänskä
      Composer: Jean Sibelius
      Audio CD (1 Jan 2000)
      Number of Discs: 1
      Label: BIS
      ASIN: B000027E3T

Available on Amazon at £13.39

OG

Comment

• verismissimo
        • Nov 2010

I was beginning to think that all the Sibelians had left the building, Black Swan.

I endorse both the suggestions above!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

There was a double CD of Charles Groves' Sibelius recordings (mentioned by umslopogaas in #2 above) available as an EMI "twofer" which seems to be currently out of "print". Amazon have copies for £23! but you might be able to get it much cheaper: Presto Classical used to have it for just under £9!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Black Swan

Many thanks for the suggestions. I've ordered:
            The Tempest (complete incidental music)

Performer: Kirsi Tiihonen, Lilli Paasikivi, Anssi Hirvonen, Heikki Keinonen
            Orchestra: Lahti Opera Chorus, Lahti Symphony Orchestra
            Conductor: Osmo Vänskä
            Composer: Jean Sibelius
            Audio CD (1 Jan 2000)
            Number of Discs: 1
            Label: BIS
            ASIN: B000027E3T

John

Comment

• verismissimo
              • Nov 2010

After listening to the Tempest suite on the Gothenburg/Jarvi CD, I've spent much of the rest of the day listening to the King Christian II and Pelleas et Melisande suites on the same disc. Magical!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I have, and can recommend, Leif Segerstam with the Helsinki Philharmonic on Ondine ODE 655-2X. You also get The Oceanides and Nightride and Sunrise.

Comment

• Rosie55
                  • Oct 2011

Second Norfolk Born - super recording!

Comment

• Black Swan

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                    I have, and can recommend, Leif Segerstam with the Helsinki Philharmonic on Ondine ODE 655-2X. You also get The Oceanides and Nightride and Sunrise.
                    Norfolk,

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked at this recording and as Night Ride and Sunrise is a favorite of mine I will think about it also.
                    I have spent the day listening to Sakari and the Iceland Symphony Orchestra recording of Pelleas et Melisande suite, Movements from Swanwhite suite, and Incidental Music to King Christian II. So looking forward to hearing the Tempest.

Thanks,

John

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

I have this one from Beecham and splendid it is too.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Off the beaten track is Jussi Jalas with the Hungarian State SO, Suites 1 & 2 available as a 24/96 download off open reel at HDTT.

Smooth, rich and warm sound, but huge in scale, enveloping you in its atmosphere of dark magic and blithe spirits; close-up, high-res and high impact!

The dark sea-swell throbs and threatens beneath the dancing,
                        The storm will trouble your dreams...

Performance - unsurpassed.

"Like Prospero, he too was about to renounce his magic, for the last thirty years of his long life were virtually silent".
                        (Andrew Huth, from the notes to the Groves recording.)
                        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 09-01-12, 03:28.

Comment

• Parry1912
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                          They strongly recommend a 15 CD set from BIS: BIS (DDD/ADD) CD 1697/1700 (15). Before you take fright at the thought of buying 15 CDs, this sounds like an outstanding bargain
                          It is!!! I strongly recommend it. It's worth the money just for Vanska's recordings of the symphonies and when you consider what else you get it's just too good to miss.

Incidentally, I notice from Spotify that Michael Stern's Kansas City(!) Symphony recording of the suites is coupled with Sullivan's music for The Tempest. Listening to this you can understand why he was considered English music's great hope (even if it is very derivative of Mendelssohn and Schumann). What a shame he got mixed up with that Gilbert person!
                          Last edited by Parry1912; 09-01-12, 13:51.
                          Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Black Swan

Thanks to all for the recommendations. I received my copy of The Tempest by the Lahti Symphony Orchestra and Osmo Vansk today. I am enjoying it immensely.

John

Comment

Working...
                            X