Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HighlandDougie
    • Nov 2010

Still off the Tennstedt topic but further to PJPJ's post, Cool Gales sells Esoteric SACD remasterings at wince-making cost. See

The quality, though, as also mentioned by PJPJ, is excellent. The Klemperer/Ludwig/Wunderlich DLvdE, which I bought from them some time ago, sounds wonderful

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Yes, they are CDs of course, though now the editions are complicated with the offer of HQCD or SHM-CD! As far as I'm concerned the thing to look for is "remastered by Yoshio Okazaki" on the back. A little hard to check before purchase I guess, but most 5-figure serial numbered EMI-Toshiba CDs starting with 14- or 13- are by him.
      Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      What's a Toshiba?

Are these HD DVD recordings maybe?
      Do you have links to suppliers? (Out of curiosity - if they're as expensive as you are hinting)

PS: Seems Toshiba EMI or EMI Toshiba is a Japanese label, and the discs referred to are almost certainly CDs.
      I didn't know that Toshiba put its name to recordings as well as equipment.

An example is this - http://www.amazon.com/Symphony-Tenns.../dp/B0061AX4I8 - though I'm suspicious
      of this as it doesn't have any Japanese symbols on the cover. Some versions definitely do.

If they're so good, then why can't EMI put out the same versions here?

Comment

• Rick

Hi guys

I'm new to this forum and found you whilst searching for a company supplying the "Klaus Tennstedt - The Great EMI Recordings" set at a good price.

I'm pleased to say that I've just found and ordered it from Play.com at £14.99. That will teach Amazon to profiteer!

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Ah, welcome Rick! Hope you be on here many times yet to come!! Thank you for your information and link!! Looks very promising!!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            Yes, they are CDs of course, though now the editions are complicated with the offer of HQCD or SHM-CD! As far as I'm concerned the thing to look for is "remastered by Yoshio Okazaki" on the back. A little hard to check before purchase I guess, but most 5-figure serial numbered EMI-Toshiba CDs starting with 14- or 13- are by him.
            Actually my investigations suggested that some of the Toshiba/EMI discs are actually hybrid SACDa, though my findings are not conclusive. Maybe there are several different versions. The Japanese seem keener on higher audio quality than the mass market in the UK will stand. Good for them, but why can't we do the same or better? UK triumphs yet again!

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rick View Post
              Hi guys

I'm new to this forum and found you whilst searching for a company supplying the "Klaus Tennstedt - The Great EMI Recordings" set at a good price.

I'm pleased to say that I've just found and ordered it from Play.com at £14.99. That will teach Amazon to profiteer!

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/1951...rlrefer=search
              Just ordered this set from play.com. Too good an offer to resist. My resolution to show restraint on bargain boxes this year has lasted a mere seven days.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                Just ordered this set from play.com. Too good an offer to resist. My resolution to show restraint on bargain boxes this year has lasted a mere seven days.
                Has anyone round here made resolutions NOT to buy any new CDs or box sets this year? I am seriously wondering whether to give up CD purchases this year .... well, at least this week.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  Not wishing to cast gloom on your purchase, a while back I ordered at bargain price the 14-CD Messiaen boxed set from play.com with nary a sign of it so far. I do hope that you get your Tennstedt box asap - could you post here when you do, please?

Thanks in advance

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Has anyone round here made resolutions NOT to buy any new CDs or box sets this year? I am seriously wondering whether to give up CD purchases this year .... well, at least this week.
                    I don't think anyone has been so rash as to resolve not to buy "any new CDs": but lots of us hope to cut down to essential (to use an abused word correctly) purchases.

The trouble is that I've seen four "essential" purchases this week alone!
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Jasmine Bassett
                      • Dec 2010

Not that I'm suggesting anyone at Amazon is watching this forum - but their price is now £14.99 including p+p

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Jasmine Bassett View Post
                        Not that I'm suggesting anyone at Amazon is watching this forum - but their price is now £14.99 including p+p
                        Woo-hoo!

Well spotted Jasmine Bassett

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          Not wishing to cast gloom on your purchase, a while back I ordered at bargain price the 14-CD Messiaen boxed set from play.com with nary a sign of it so far. I do hope that you get your Tennstedt box asap - could you post here when you do, please?

Thanks in advance
                          They state "Delivery estimate: 3-5 working days". Fingers crossed. Jasmine has pointed out that Amazon have now lowered their price to match it. I'll report back.

Comment

• Rick

I got my copy from Play.com. Delivery was pretty good - within a few days.

It was packaged in a jiffy bag rather than Amazon type cardboard packing but still survived the drop through the letter box.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Woo-hoo!

Well spotted Jasmine Bassett
                              On the other hand Amazon's take on the Messiaen box is now going stratospheric - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olivier-Mess...7071369&sr=1-4

I'm still getting the messages from Sainsburys though!

Comment

• hafod
                                • Nov 2010

On the other hand Amazon's take on the Messiaen box is now going stratospheric - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olivier-Mess...7071369&sr=1-4

I'm still getting the messages from Sainsburys though!
                                I see that Sainsburys is advertising the Messiaen box for £16.99 and "usually despatched within 6 working day(s)".

Comment

Working...
                                X