X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

Roberto Szidon

Brazilian pianist, died in Germany at 69.

Always loved his DGG recording of Prokofiev Sonata 6 from the early 1970s.
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Sad news, RIP. I listened times without number in my teens to his recording of the Gershwin Piano Concerto.

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• HighlandDougie
      • Nov 2010

And the Gershwin Piano Concerto/Macdowell Piano Concerto 2 (with Edward Downes - also much-underrated - and the LPO) - I almost wore out my LP

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
        And the Gershwin Piano Concerto/Macdowell Piano Concerto 2 (with Edward Downes - also much-underrated - and the LPO) - I almost wore out my LP
        Snap! (though I didn't listen to the Macdowell much!)
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Sorry to hear that had a double LP of his liszt Hungarian Rhapsodies I enjoyed a lot.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            Sorry to hear that had a double LP of his liszt Hungarian Rhapsodies I enjoyed a lot.
            Both his early 1970s DGG-recordings of the Liszt Rhapsodies (2LP set) and the Skryabin sonatas (2 2LP-sets) were the first time I came across music of these composers. And in the long run I actually did like the MacDowell 2nd concerto more than the Gershwin piece.

RIP Roberto Szidon

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
              Both his early 1970s DGG-recordings of the Liszt Rhapsodies (2LP set) and the Skryabin sonatas (2 2LP-sets) were the first time I came across music of these composers. And in the long run I actually did like the MacDowell 2nd concerto more than the Gershwin piece.

RIP Roberto Szidon
              I didn't get to know any of his recordings until the Rhapsodies came on 2 CDs as part the recent DG Liszt anniversary box. Very enjoyable they are too. I am about to play some of them in his memory before retiring to bed.

Comment

• Thomas Roth

I liked his Ives Concord Sonata and his Villa-Lobos a lot.

Comment

• mikealdren
                  • Nov 2010

How sad. Coincidentally I bought his Liszt Rhapsodies a week ago and they're excellent.

Mike

Comment

• umslopogaas
                    • Nov 2010

Ah, thanks Roehre (#6), I have long treasured Szidon's 2 LP set of Scriabin's sonatas 4-10, and always wondered if he had recorded the rest. Dont want to sell the first set, do you? (Only joking).

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                      Ah, thanks Roehre (#6), I have long treasured Szidon's 2 LP set of Scriabin's sonatas 4-10, (DGG 2707.053)and always wondered if he had recorded the rest. Dont want to sell the first set, do you? (Only joking).
                      Umslopogaas, IIRC a 3CD (still DGG) set was issued early 1990s, nearly at the same time as the Ashkenazy set was on Decca. I could sell you my 2LP-set (DGG 2707.058, with the same kind of psychedelic colours decorating the double-folded-sleeve) with sonatas 1-3 (+ 2 unnumbered sonatas and the fantasy in b op.23), but I'm afraid they show signs of heavily being used the past 35 or so years, definitely affecting heavily your joy of acquiring them, I'm afraid .

Comment

Working...
                      X