X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Five cherished recordings new to my collection in 2011:

Jorge Bolet – Liszt Etudes d’Exécution Transcendante (1970)
    Garrick Ohlsson: Chopin Preludes & Nocturnes
    Nelson Freire: Schumann Papillons etc.
    Kathryn Stott: Chabrier Piano Works
    Cuarteto Latinoamericano: Piazzolla Milonga del Ángel etc.

The Jorge Bolet is probably the definitive performance (if there be such a thing) of that work, with special mention of the Ricordanza, IMO.

I didn’t include the Germaine Thyssens-Valentin Fauré Nocturnes, aware she followed the composer’s instructions. But was Fauré right? Give me K. Stott and J-P Collard any day.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• makropulos
      • Nov 2010

My five for 2011 - a tough choice, but here goes:
      Suk: Asrael - Mackerras/Czech PO - Supraphon
      Bach: Concertos etc. Vol. 5 (and/or Vol. 6) - Café Zimmermann - Alpha (I've been collecting this marvellous series since first finding Vol. 1 in the Grenoble Fnac around 2001, so it's great to have the whole lot now).
      Tchaikovsky: Pathéthique Symphony - Mackerras/Philharmonia - Signum
      Mahler: Symphony No. 8 - Chailly/Leipzig - Accentus DVD
      Vaughan Williams: Job and Symphony No. 8 - Boult/LPO - ICA DVD

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

The following are new to my collection this year and have given me the most pleasure -

Janacek Glagolitic Mass / Kubelik Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra et al.

Martinu complete symphonies / Jarvi Bamberg Symphony Orchestra.

Bartok complete string quartets / Keller Quartet .

ShostakovicH 6 & 12 / Petrenko RLPO.

Mathias Piano Concertos 1 & 2 , RVW Fantasy for piano and orchestra / Mark Bebbington Ulster Orchestra George Vass

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          Mathias Piano Concertos 1 & 2 , RVW Fantasy for piano and orchestra / Mark Bebbington Ulster Orchestra George Vass

Ah! I was going to get that when it came out, forgot about it. Thanks!
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Black Swan

Interesting what everyone is enjoying from 2011.

My current favorites are:

Mahler: Symphony No. 8 - Chailly/Leipzig - Accentus DVD
            Birtwistle: Night's Black Bird, The Shadow of Night and The Cry of Anubis - Halle/Wigglesworth - NMC
            Dvorak: Quartet's No. 12 & 13 - Pavel Haas Quartet - Decca
            Hanson: Symphonies, Reissues by Naxos - Schwarz/Seattle Symphony - Naxos
            Handel: The Eight Great Suites (Keyboard) - Lisa Smirnova - ECM, this is my favorite Christmas gift to myself an excellent recording of all eight suites

John

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

I've "saved" making my choice because I knew that Santa was bringing me a set that I suspected should go on my "list".

My "mighty handful":

Belohlavek / BBCSO: Martinu Symphonies. (Glowing, resonant recordings of the performances that first opened my cloth ears to this glorious Music.)
              Wigglesworth / Halle: Birtwistle Shadow of Night etc.
              Burger; Heusinger / Experimentalstudio des SWR: Nono Risonanze erranti (I've been hoping for a recording of this late masterpiece since 1995. I wasn't disappointed.)
              Krivine / La Chambre Philharmonique: Beethoven Symphonies. (Santa's special delivery: performances that made me think again and again "What magnificent Music!" rather than "What good interpretations.")

and
              Sarah Leonard; Zoltan Pesko / Frankfurt Radio SO: Feldman, Neither. (A work I sort-of knew about, but which I hadn't heard before buying this disc. It now spontaneously creeps into my subconscious regularly).

(A bit of a cheat, this last: re-issued this year from original recordings made in 1990. But then, as I pointed out earlier, there was nothing in the original Post about "New Recordings".)

Best Wishes.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
              X