• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I have ordered the Spencer and Millington and can ignore the Wagnerite essays I hope .
    I think you'll enjoy it; and the Essays aren't all "heavy" (IIRC): a synpsis, leitmotif list, history of the work's composition, performance history ... that sort of thing.

I love Richard Osborne's notes for the EMI Tristan where he mentions the influence of Berlioz's Romeo and Juliet and Wagnerites ignoring any evidence that he might have been influenced .
    I would love it if Osborne's "Complete Liner Notes" were ever to be published. Like Webern, he communicates volumes with an absolute minimum of material.

Best Wishes.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Biffo

I usually listen without a libretto but when I do I have the text and translations from the Solti and Keilberth sets. I was interested in the Sabor books until I also saw the Amazon price of £250 for a used copy. Deryck Cooke's Introduction to Der Ring des Nibelungen, on 2 Decca CDs, is a good starter for leitmotivs and how Wagner uses them.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

... variously, I use -

1.) the Dover scores

2.) the Stewart Spencer/Barry Millington 'Companion' [Thames & Hudson]

3.) an old, battered, much loved "Text mit den hauptsaechlichsten Leitmotiven und Notenbeispielen" herausgegeben von Dr Julius Burghold [Schott, Mainz]. which has the libretto with useful foldy-outy scores of the leitmotifs.

And then sometimes I just relax and listen to the darned Thing...

Comment

• Karafan
          • Nov 2010

It is certainly interesting to see the various approaches, from music stands to well loved and battered scores and books!

I have just managed to find, I think, just about the only hardback edition of Spencer/Millington at an (almost) reasonable price. I dislike paperbacks greatly and anything like this, which will doubtless take some hammer over the years, I can imagine the spine breaking and pages fluttering hither and thither with a paperback!

K.
          "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... variously, I use -

1.) the Dover scores

2.) the Stewart Spencer/Barry Millington 'Companion' [Thames & Hudson]

3.) an old, battered, much loved "Text mit den hauptsaechlichsten Leitmotiven und Notenbeispielen" herausgegeben von Dr Julius Burghold [Schott, Mainz]. which has the libretto with useful foldy-outy scores of the leitmotifs.

I wonder what the German is for 'the libretto with useful foldy-outy scores of the leitmotifs'

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              The web address is : http://uk.phaidon.com/store/search/?q=Wagner

Later: On closer examination, all 5 volumes are currently 'out of stock' - whether this means 'and they'll be coming back soon' or 'and likely to be so for the foreseeable future' I don't know.

There are copies available on amazon and abebooks but at £250+

Having followed the link above, I realise that I almost bought this set some years ago, when it was displayed temptingly in Blackwell's. The set appears to be available from Waterstones for £45, so I think I'll treat myself.

My usual way of listening is with the scores (Dover) and Donnington's Wagner's Ring and its Symbols to hand.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                Having followed the link above, I realise that I almost bought this set some years ago, when it was displayed temptingly in Blackwell's. The set appears to be available from Waterstones for £45, so I think I'll treat myself.
                I'm sure you won't be dissapointed!!
                Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                  I'm sure you won't be disappointed!!
                  Thanks, Mr Pee. We seem to have similar tastes!!!

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                    • Nov 2011

That's an excellent bargain. Go for it!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

That is a very good idea to have a seperate text from t he one supplied byy the company. That also means you could just read it at your leisure as well! Might have a llook at the Waterstone's site and see for myself!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Karafan
                        • Nov 2010

I'd be very interested to know if anyone actually gets their paws on this, I hate to be a doom-monger, but my waters tell me it's one of these mythical website "in stock" listings which never come to fruition...
                        "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                          I'd be very interested to know if anyone actually gets their paws on this, I hate to be a doom-monger, but my waters tell me it's one of these mythical website "in stock" listings which never come to fruition...
                          I have ordered it today - from the local branch, rather than online. They checked and said they could get it for the same price - £45. Given the option, I always buy in a shop - support the High Street and all that!

I've been quoted a delivery time of a couple of weeks. I will report back in due course.

Comment

• amateur51

I have ordered it today - from the local branch, rather than online. They checked and said they could get it for the same price - £45. Given the option, I always buy in a shop - support the High Street and all that!

I've been quoted a delivery time of a couple of weeks. I will report back in due course.
                            Thanks for this VodkaDilc - I hope you're able to report positively early in the New Year!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

This is all I ever use when listening. I bought it in Germany about 15 years ago but I note that it is available from Amazon.uk. It is a reprint of the original 1913 edition (German only) with an indication of the leitmotivs next to the text (no "foldy-out" bits) and an illustrated list of leitmotivs by opera at the end of the book.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

I have to admit although I have got the Bohm set I have never sat down and listened to the whole thing (never had the time) but it's on my list of things to do when I retire.

Comment

Working...
                                X