X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Norman del Mar - favourite recordings

I find that apart from the Serenade for Strings extracted from an apparently highly regarded English Music LP from the late 1960s I have no recordings by this conductor .

I note on another thread many reminiscences regarding to his performances in the 1960s and 1970s . I only saw him conduct once when as a teenager I went to a Victor Hochhauser Beethoven concert of all things with I think the RPO . Menuhin , in variable but poetic form was the soloist in the violin concerto and then del mar conducted a far from routine Beethoven 5 with the transition to the finale as I remember it particularly well handled .
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I find that apart from the Serenade for Strings extracted from an apparently highly regarded English Music LP from the late 1960s I have no recordings by this conductor .

I note on another thread many reminiscences regarding to his performances in the 1960s and 1970s . I only saw him conduct once when as a teenager I went to a Victor Hochhauser Beethoven concert of all things with I think the RPO . Menuhin , in variable but poetic form was the soloist in the violin concerto and then del mar conducted a far from routine Beethoven 5 with the transition to the finale as I remember it particularly well handled .
    Again by reference to another thread: the Elgar "Pomp & Circumstance" marches with the RPO plus the "Enigma Variations"

I also have his English music collection: http://www.amazon.com/Somerset-Rhaps.../dp/B000CERDYK although heaven knows when I last played it, so hardly a "favourite"....
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• gradus
      • Nov 2010

Wasn't he Beecham's assistant early on, as well as being a very good conductor in his own right, something of a musical scholar too, the author of a well regarded study of the music of Richard Strauss.
      The Bournemouth Sinfonietta recording of Elgar string pieces conducted by him is I think my only lp of his performances and very good it is.
      Didn't he also conduct The Last Night of the Proms?
      An all round first class musician.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

He was certainly an eminent authority on Strauss and his books on his works are still available according to Amazon .

Comment

• robk
          • Nov 2010

I have his excellent recording of Noye's Fludde with Owen Brannigan as Noye recorded in 1961 at Orford Church.

Comment

• Biffo

My first encounter with Norman Del Mar was an LP (which I still have) in the 'music today' series from EMI. The disc contains Schoenberg's Suite for String Orchestra, Lutyens' cantata 'O saisons, O chateau' and Britten's Prelude and Fugue for 18-part String Orchestra - an indication of the breadth of his interests.

Comment

• umslopogaas
              • Nov 2010

Norman del Mar was the conductor of The Hoffnung (alias Morley College) Symphony Orchestra on the Hoffnung Interplanetary Music Festival 1958. This includes the hilarious Let's Fake An Opera, which has a pretty stellar cast: Edith Coates, Owen Brannigan, Otakar Kraus, Peter Glossop and Ian Wallace, among others, and the jokes come on so thick and fast I usually get a pain in my ribs from the laughter. Here's the plot synopsis.

"The scene is the outside of a cigarette factory in old Nuremberg. Beckmesser woos Azucena, the sex-kitten of the tobacco girls. Otello rides in with his swan, which is chased away by William Tell, Max and other huntsmen. Otello, retiring defeated from the hunt, meets Salome who, on the removal of all her veils, proves to be Fidelio, and sings herself into a stupor. Brunnhilde in search of a husband, is disappointed - Fidelio is a woman in disguise - and even the rival serenaders of whom she has hopes turn out to be serenading Melisande. However, she gets her man (Radames) in the end: Fidelio awakes and departs on Brunnhilde's tricycle, Grane: leaving the frustrated Nightwatchman to steal forty well-deserved winks in the vacated bed, etc, etc."

Comment

• makropulos
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by robk View Post
                I have his excellent recording of Noye's Fludde with Owen Brannigan as Noye recorded in 1961 at Orford Church.
                That's my favourite Del Mar recording, along with the superb performance of Delius's Mass of Life that was issued (unofficially) on Intaglio.

Comment

• Thomas Roth

Bax 6 and Noye´s Fludde.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

NdM was the conductor on the wonderful Decca recording of Britten's Noye's Fludde (often assumed to have been conducted by the composer). He was Professor of Conducting at the RCM for many years, and a brilliant teacher he was, too. His set of conducting books, and 'Orchestral Variations', are a must for any serious conductor ('Conducting Beethoven', 'Conducting Brahms', 'Conducting Elgar', etc). They are also very readable by anyone who'se prepared to have a score to hand. His son, Jonathan, had edited the current urtext edition of the Beethoven symphonies, no doubt spurred on by his father's interest in the field.

Comment

• Parry1912
                      • Nov 2010

There are two fine recordings of his in the 'Elgar - Stanford- Parry' box in EMI's 'British Composers' series: Stanford's 'Irish' Symphony and Elgar's 'From the Bavarian Highlands'. As this reasonably-priced box also contains the Boult recording of Parry's 5th, I would describe it as indispensible.

I would also strongly recommend his book 'Anatomy of the Orchestra'.
                      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• barber olly

I have a few recordings mainly of English music (Bridge, Butterworth, Delius, Elgar, Moeran, Vaughan Williams from Chandos and EMI sources, and I had some R Strauss from CFP LPs (Also Sprach, Rosenkavalier Waltzes and some lesser known orchestral bits), and some Tchaikovsky (Sym5, Serenade for Strings and Suite 3 Th & Vars)on a double CFP CD. Of course as a 'jobbing' conductor with the BBC Regional Orchestras, particularly BBCNSO>BBCPO he coducted a wide range of music, from Warhorses to the unfamiliar. Unless as I suspect the tapes were wiped and reused, there should be a BBC Archive of loads of his recordings, along with Stanford Robinson, Edward Downes, Bryden Thomson and other stalwarts of the podium waiting for us to be heard in the middle hour of Essential Classics, one the Gimmicks and Guests have been ditched!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                          • Nov 2010

His recording of Roberto Gerhard's Concerto for Orchestra is terrific, and his Holst recordings are very fine, especially The Somerset Rhapsody. Unfortunately as far as I know, the Gerhard was not issued on CD.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Elgar's The Music Makers recorded live at a special Prom in the Albert Hall on the 8th of April 1979 to celebrate Sir Adrian Boult's 90th birthday. NdM, Sarah Walker, BBC Singers and Symphony Chorus, BBBSO all made a wonderful sound which appears occasionally on different labels. It was a very special night where three of Boult's favourite "pupils" conducted. Tod Handley with RVW Tallis Fantasia and James Loughran with Brahms' Fourth Symphony.

Thea Musgrave:Clarinet Concerto
                            Gervase de Peyer (clarinet)
                            London Symphony Orchestra, Norman Del Mar

The aforementioned Hoffnung Symphony concerts: Too many items to mention all as he WAS the main conductor at all the concerts along with Sir William Walton but especially:
                            LvBeethoven: Leonora Overture No 4
                            Joseph Horowitz: Horrortorio
                            Franz Reizenstein: Let's Fake an Opera
                            Mozart, L: Concerto for hosepipe & strings (third movement), Dennis Brain, Hoffnung Symphony Orchestra, Norman Del Mar

Tchaikovsky, Violin Concerto, David Oistrahk, RPO, NdM

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

As I recall his Planets was very good - http://music.yahoo.com/norman-del-ma...uite--16002591

Comment

Working...
                              X