X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
    DECCA did a box set of the Ostmann operas and it is now deleted (see here). Sadly the lack of alternative formats means that one is hostage to the unrealistic aspirations of amazon marketplace sellers!
    I did a check on supplies of the Ostman recordings a few months ago, and all the major Mozart operas were available at the time from US Amazon. It looks as though supplies are now dwindling, though it's still possible - see http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Cosi-Fa.../dp/B00000E2XU. Note also the availability of used copies at not too unreasonable prices.

I've not checked other Amazon outlets in other countries. Another possibility is to look at other US outlets, such as HBDirect, though all I can find immediately is one of the DVDs - http://www.hbdirect.com/

If these get remaindered, then try Berkshire Record Outlet - http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com/ near Stockbridge.

Probably won't get as far as Australia - I can't quite remember the name of the very good outlet there - something like Brightwell? That Australian store is very good for some issues. It's actually Buywell, and no sign of Ostman there at present.

Comment

• silvestrione
      • Jan 2011

Scratchy mono recordings? Are you still using vinyl?

There's only one Cosi for me, and that's Karajan's (EMI mono). If you've never heard it, listen to it with open ears, and you'll be amazed. There is NO scratchiness on my CD version, only joyous and searching music-making.

Comment

• Colonel Danby
        • Nov 2010

Given that 'Cosi' is my favourite Mozart opera by far (and I was at the Royal Opera House with Tom Allen/Ford/Graham/Keenlyside/Murray/Roocroft, directed by Jonathan Miller, costumes by Giorgio Armani in 1995) I only have one recording on disc, but it is the best: Arnold Östman conducting the Drottningholm Court Theatre with Yakar/Nafe/Resick/Winbergh/Krause/Feller on Decca Editions de L'Oiseau Lyre Florilegium label (414 316-2OH3).

It's almost impossible to find now, or is very expensive: you'd think that the Östman Mozart da Ponte opera cycle would have appeared on a budget label by now...

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Colonel Danby View Post
          Given that 'Cosi' is my favourite Mozart opera by far (and I was at the Royal Opera House with Tom Allen/Ford/Graham/Keenlyside/Murray/Roocroft, directed by Jonathan Miller, costumes by Giorgio Armani in 1995) I only have one recording on disc, but it is the best: Arnold Östman conducting the Drottningholm Court Theatre with Yakar/Nafe/Resick/Winbergh/Krause/Feller on Decca Editions de L'Oiseau Lyre Florilegium label (414 316-2OH3).

It's almost impossible to find now, or is very expensive: you'd think that the Östman Mozart da Ponte opera cycle would have appeared on a budget label by now...
          I quite agree Colonel Danby - meantime I shall preciously guard the original 4 Mozart/Ostman recordings that are on my shelves...

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            I quite agree Colonel Danby - meantime I shall preciously guard the original 4 Mozart/Ostman recordings that are on my shelves...
            I ripped my copies of Östman's recordings to hard drive over the weekend. Definitely worth chasing after them, even used, unless anyone gets a hint that they're going to be reissued soon.

You may well find various copies of Östman's work at the US, Canadian, French and German Amazon sites. There's some Gluck as well as Mozart, and there are also some recent DVDs of recent performances - Idomeneo and La Clemenza di Tito. It also seems that the Magic Flute was already available as a reissued 2fer in some domains from 2002, though the originals would have had the librettos. There are some reasonably priced copies, but also some very high prices, so take care. Some of the CDs are quite cheap if you look at the different sites.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Also, for very cheap, but dated and sometimes rather feeble sound, see http://www.classicalmusicmobile.com/48-mozart-w-a

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                You may well find various copies of Östman's work at the ... Amazon sites. .
                Dave - many thanks for the tip. I am (I hope... ) acquiring a secondhand copy of the da Ponte box from an amazon seller...

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

The original Ostman sets are well worth seeking out due to the extensive booklet notes/libretti.

Vinteuil - I can't believe you don't have these sets already!! And what was your verdict on the Kuijken set?

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Micky - when I was 'getting into' Mozart operas the real excitements for me were the John-Eliot Gardiner boxes as they came out one by one - such a revelation after the Bohm and the Davis I had been used to. Altho' I had the Ostman Zauberflote the other Ostmen passed me by - and then I was swept up in enthusiasm for the Norrington - and then most particularly for the Jacobs, which are currently my top faves - particularly for the real involvement of the recitatives. He remains tops for me - but, yes, I am much enjoying the Kuijken Cosi...

PS - decca Ostman just arrived in (very efficient) morning post - very efficient amazon seller!!

Comment

• martin_opera

It's been a disappointment that Norrington never seemed to get around to Cosi. Or am I wrong? I am very taken by his Don Giovanni (one of the very best). I am also surprised that Abbado seems to have steered clear of this the greatest of chamber operas in my opinion. Surely Abbado with his Lucerne forces would make a brilliant stab at it.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

I much prefer the Bohm to the Ostman ( cannot be doing with that string tone)- ducks to avoid the brickbats....

Comment

Working...
                        X