X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoctorT
    • Sep 2024

Cosi fan tutte

I must be a bad person! To my shame I realise that I don't have a CD version of this, although I know it well and have the wonderful Glyndebourne DVD. Yesterday I came across the Brilliant Classics version (Kuijken?) for £8 in Head (along with some other tempting bargains). My wife wanted to know why I hadn't bought it - not the usual response, but then she doesn't know about the Cluytens Beethoven and Paul Lewis Schubert in the post! The Penguin Guide suggests Boehm, but I'm not a great Schwartzkopf fan (heresy in some quarters, I know). I'm tempted by the Mackerras/SCO version. What do others advise? (No scratchy mono recordings please )
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I won't bother to suggest the Boehm with Schwarzkopf, which is the only one I have - but it is very good!
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

There is a Böhm version without Schwarzkopf which has a superb cast, is very good and is amazingly cheap:

It is over 50 years old, though, and you might want a more modern (and perhaps HIPP) version.

Comment

• Biffo

Like aeolium and others I go for Bohm; the earlier non-Schwarzkopf version is an absolute bargain for £4.99 (I bought it for even less as a download, an offer not currently available). I grew up with the later Bohm version and it is still my favourite. I also own the Davis version; here I suppose it is how you respond to Caballe and Baker. If you want a HIPP version try Gardiner on DVD; this is beautifully played and sung with a convincing young-looking cast. Mercifully, it has a non-stupid production that is also beautiful to look at.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Another vote for Bohm here . I love Bohm's DG Figaro with Janowitz even more than his Cosi.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

My current favourite is that with René Jacobs with Véronique Gens and Bernarda Fink, Concerto Köln; I also like John-Eliot Gardiner with Amanda Roocroft etc and the Monteverdi Choir/English Baroque Soloists: also the Harnoncourt with the Concertgebouw. The 1974 Böhm/Wiener Philharmoniker with Janowitz and Fassbaender is lovely - but perhaps more moving is his 1955 recording with Lisa della Casa and Christa Ludwig.

But as I say - currently René Jacobs (on harmonia mundi) does it for me

Comment

• martin_opera

I own more than twenty versions of Cosi (it is my favourite opera). You really can't go far wrong with the Kujiken if price is a key factor. I'd avoid Bohm personally (with Schwarzkopf he's too neutral and laid back and with Della Casa you lose a lot of music with a severely cut score). I would also steer away from the Von Karajan now in dated sound and the Levine and Barenboim - too overblown. I would put a word in for Mackerras (with great singers but let down by reverberant sound); Haitink (with the wonderful Carol Vaness and the Claudio Desderi), Solti (with a marvellous cast including Pilar Lorengar as a creamy Fiordiligi) and my all time favourite Jochum (let down by Seefried but the men are fabulous and the ensemble playing brilliant). I would have rated the Ciolin Davis as first choice (like Hilary Finch on BAL) but I cannot stand Nicolai Gedda's braying on this recording (and I speak as a fan). Note that the most recent BAL chose J E Gardiner which is a great performance and I especially like the DVD as mentioned above. happy listening.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                My current favourite is that with René Jacobs with Véronique Gens and Bernarda Fink, Concerto Köln ... The 1974 Böhm/Wiener Philharmoniker with Janowitz and Fassbaender is lovely - but perhaps more moving is his 1955 recording with Lisa della Casa and Christa Ludwig.

Having "said" that, the Kuijken is superb and at £8, I'd leap at the chance. Terrific work: go for it!

Best Wishes.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

I'm surprised you didn't just go for the Kuijken, though for a further £90 or so you could have the whole Brilliant Mozart box. Ostman/Drottningholm is very good. You can get JEG's in a box with I think all his Mozart operas. There's also a Decca Mozart box, which is good, but has too many of the lesser known operas unless you're really keen.

Comment

• John Skelton

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    You can get JEG's in a box with I think all his Mozart operas.
                    Indeed you can http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//4779595.htm, and very worthwhile it is. I also have the recording conducted by René Jacobs & would second or third or whatever that recommendation. As a Kuijken fan the Brilliant set is tempting .

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      I'm surprised you didn't just go for the Kuijken, though for a further £90 or so you could have the whole Brilliant Mozart box...
                      Dave's post makes me realise - with a blush - that I have the big Brilliant box - and that I have not listened to the Kuijken Cosi contained therein - must give it a spin this weekend

Comment

• verismissimo
                        • Nov 2010

I just realised that I bought the Petite Bande/Kuijken on the recommendation of others when we had a canter round Cosi recordings in July. And I've thus far failed to listen to it.

What pleasure in store!

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

I'm very fond of the Ostman/Drottningholm performance - it is high time Decca gave us a bargain box of their Mozart operas.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                            I'm very fond of the Ostman/Drottningholm performance - it is high time Decca gave us a bargain box of their Mozart operas.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• martin_opera

DECCA did a box set of the Ostmann operas and it is now deleted (see here). Sadly the lack of alternative formats means that one is hostage to the unrealistic aspirations of amazon marketplace sellers!

Comment

Working...
                              X