• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Wonderful new Fauré Requiem

Well, new to me and reasonably new in general, released in 2009.

This is a piece which I've known for 30-odd years and was relegated in my mind to the stable for old war-horses. Not any more.

I've been absolutely bowled over by the recording by Accentus conducted by Laurence Equilbey on Naïve: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faure-Requie...1281415&sr=8-1

I noticed the reference to it in the review in the current Gramophone of the disappointing new Jarvi performance. The recording was described as being in a class of its own.

As well as the quality of the choral singing, the pacing, the soloists (Sandrine Piau especially, and the violinist in the Sanctus), the recording indeed delivers one of the chief pleasures: the balance between clarity and the acoustic of the Basilique Sainte-Clotilde in central Paris, and between the small orchestra and the gorgeous sounds of the Cavaillé-Coll organ. There are some passages for strings which are transfigured by the glowing, liquid organ line above and around the strings.

The whole thing is completely addictive and together with Germaine Thyssens-Valentin's Fauré Nocturnes has plunged me into a full-time Fauré phase

For French speakers (and even for non French speakers) Naïve's little film about the recording is worth a watch. Laurence Equilbey is a very classy (and rather seductive ) lady. I'd never heard of her or her choir before and shall be doing some further exploring

Here's the film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV4t_n4MLDQ

(The filler on the disc is the Cantique de Jean Racine, which sounds a little too glam in its orchestra garb. It's a slight disappointment after the transcendent Requiem and not a patch in the performance of the Cantique for choir and organ alone in this stunning version: http://www.naxosmusiclibrary.com/pre...D=V4879&path=1 )
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• HighlandDougie
    • Nov 2010

Well, with that eloquent recommendation, who could resist? Used copy found (here in France) and duly ordered. I've always been a bit wary of Accentus and their vocal transcriptions of orchestral music, no good reason why other than snobbery (their singing is exceptionally good from what I remember). Looking forward to it arriving

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
      Well, with that eloquent recommendation, who could resist? Used copy found (here in France) and duly ordered. I've always been a bit wary of Accentus and their vocal transcriptions of orchestral music, no good reason why other than snobbery (their singing is exceptionally good from what I remember). Looking forward to it arriving
      Yes I saw a reference to those transcription discs... not sure I'll be investing in those, having heard the Barber Adagio transformed into an Agnus Dei, at my cousins' choral concert in Rennes last week: pretty unconvincing insertion of the Latin text into the not-necessarily corresponding phrases of the Barber...

Please report back once you've heard the Requiem, Dougie!! How much did you pick it up for?

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

I'm sure we're not implying it was anyone but Barber himself who turned the Adagio into the Agnus Dei (?)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          I'm sure we're not implying it was anyone but Barber himself who turned the Adagio into the Agnus Dei (?)
          I was actually Why, did he do it himself? Either way, I don't think it works...

Comment

• HighlandDougie
            • Nov 2010

€9.99 (plus postage). A bit cheaper than Amazon. I suspect that Samuel Barber might be birling in his grave at the thought of the Adagio transmogrified into the Agnus Dei. I'm not sure if he was at all religious but I suspect that, if so, he was a good WASP. He was possessed of a notoriously sharp tongue so I suspect that he might have had something suitably trenchant to say about it.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Why, did he do it himself?
              that's my understanding.
              other vocal groups have recorded it.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

Quickly eating humble pie for my arrogant assumption that the not conspicuously religious Barber - no James Macmillan he - wouldn't have done it, he transcribed it for four-part choir in 1967. Maybe he needed the money ....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Maybe he needed the money ....

My thought precisely.

I just listened yet again to the Fauré Agnus Dei and Sanctus... So beautifully performed.

That organ...

(If that last line doesn't bring amateur51 on here, nothing will! )

Comment

• mathias broucek
                    • Nov 2010

Once had to sing the Barber Adagio/Agnus. It's pretty tough to get the tuning right - needs a good choir (better than the one I was singing in!)

Re the Faure - is Sandrine Piau in tune? I once downloaded a Handel recital with her and the tuning was hit or miss in places.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post

Re the Faure - is Sandrine Piau in tune? I once downloaded a Handel recital with her and the tuning was hit or miss in places.
                      Seems fine to me. On the youtube link I provided, you can hear her sing most of her solo, see what you think...

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

My thought precisely.

I just listened yet again to the Fauré Agnus Dei and Sanctus... So beautifully performed.

That organ...

(If that last line doesn't bring amateur51 on here, nothing will! )
                        You raaaang, Sir?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

I rather like to wollow in the Requiem - and for that Cluytens/ de los Angeles and DFD are the thing !

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

€9.99 (plus postage). A bit cheaper than Amazon. I suspect that Samuel Barber might be birling in his grave at the thought of the Adagio transmogrified into the Agnus Dei. I'm not sure if he was at all religious but I suspect that, if so, he was a good WASP. He was possessed of a notoriously sharp tongue so I suspect that he might have had something suitably trenchant to say about it.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logrolling_%28sport%29 ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              You raaaang, Sir?
                              Sorry to miss you!!

Comment

Working...
                              X