Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

replacing physical completely with digital is , not just in music, unwise. Leaves control in too few hands.
    Its up to us to do what we can. Keep buying in physical form. Demand real staff in shops and banks, not machines. That sort of thing.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LHC
      • Jan 2011

Are you sure.

According to the BBC 26.6 million albums were sold in 2011, compared to 86.2 million CDs

It is clear that download sales are increaing (24% up on the previous year) and CD sales are falling (down 13%), but in absolute terms CD sales still exceed downloads by a considerable margin. It will take some time yet before physical media is obsolete.
      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by LHC View Post
        Are you sure.

According to the BBC 26.6 million albums were sold in 2011, compared to 86.2 million CDs

It is clear that download sales are increaing (24% up on the previous year) and CD sales are falling (down 13%), but in absolute terms CD sales still exceed downloads by a considerable margin. It will take some time yet before physical media is obsolete.
        No, I'm not sure. It's just something I read in the FT. Apparently 55% of all music sales are now digital downloads.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

It may refer to "singles".

There is already a similar thread to this in existence. They might well be merged in the future.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

This is the merged thread.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              It may refer to "singles".

There is already a similar thread to this in existence. They might well be merged in the future.
              I have never had an original idea in my entire life

Comment

• LHC
                • Jan 2011

I have now looked at the BPI press release that was the source of Beef Ovens comment:

This states that in the first quarter of the year, revenue from digital sales outstripped revenue from physical media sales.

Digital sales in this context means downloads of individual tracks, downloads of whole albums and subscription fees to download services like spotify and We7, so quite a wide spectrum.
                "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                  No, I'm not sure. It's just something I read in the FT. Apparently 55% of all music sales are now digital downloads.
                  I am prepared to believe the figures are accurate though my preference is definitely for shelf-loading. I would have thought that in the singles market downloads overtook CDs a long time ago, the question of albums is a different scenario as iTunes and Amazon's approach encourages cherry picking of tracks so the term music sales is more accurate than discriminating between singles and albums. Also there are many younger purchasers who prefer downloads and I would think the FT figure is new sales and will exclude the plunderers of the Amazon virtual bargain basement!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    I am prepared to believe the figures are accurate though my preference is definitely for shelf-loading. I would have thought that in the singles market downloads overtook CDs a long time ago, the question of albums is a different scenario as iTunes and Amazon's approach encourages cherry picking of tracks so the term music sales is more accurate than discriminating between singles and albums. Also there are many younger purchasers who prefer downloads and I would think the FT figure is new sales and will exclude the plunderers of the Amazon virtual bargain basement!
                    Phew! There's a relief - I wasn't sure if you'd be prepared to believe the figures. Turns out I was worrying for no reason

P.S. £8.00?

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                      Phew! There's a relief - I wasn't sure if you'd be prepared to believe the figures. Turns out I was worrying for no reason

P.S. £8.00?
                      ....picked up the BSO/Haitink Brahms 1, £1 at a car-boot yesterday!

Comment

• Beef Oven

You drive a hard bargain

Comment

• AmpH
                          • Feb 2012

I'm staggered that anyone would pay that much for a Haitink recording

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                            There still are people who just can listen

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                              Watch your words there are Haitink police on these boards - I'm not a Haitink fanatic but for the sum, worth a listen!

Comment

• AmpH
                                • Feb 2012

Watch your words there are Haitink police on these boards - I'm not a Haitink fanatic but for the sum, worth a listen!
                                We all have our own likes and dislikes so the Haitink and any other police can stick to theirs ! Glad to hear you seem to have found a bargain you like - always good when you do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X