X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stunsworth
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
    I'll get on to Hyperion - thanks very much for this information.
    It was a well known problem with some CDs pressed by Phillips. There's some more information here on the Hyperion web site...

Steve

Comment

• Stunsworth
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Yes I can: the Alphabet's a wonderful thing
      Things get trickier when compilation CDs are involved. It's very easy to track individual piece down with a streaming system - or at least it is for me.

Also, in my particular case the storing CDs in alphabetical order broke down as I bought more and more CDs. Too much shuffling of things about for me to keep up. I realise others are more organised than me.
      Steve

Comment

• Panjandrum

Yes I can: the Alphabet's a wonderful thing.
        Multi composer CDs?

News to me: I've been moving them around with me most days for the last quarter century. Pockets and briefcases are also wonderful things. .
        Play on the go do they (car cd players excluded)?

Not if you handle them carefully - or, with Fürtwängler's Wagner, all due reverence! .
        As I said: they get scratched.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
          Multi composer CDs?
          Performer's/s' name.

Play on the go do they (car cd players excluded)?
          I've never felt the need to hear music "on the go" - I prefer to read.

As I said: they get scratched.
          As I said: not if you handle them carefully.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven

Cheers - I am going to check more of my old cds now!
            Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
            It was a well known problem with some CDs pressed by Phillips. There's some more information here on the Hyperion web site...

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/bronzed.asp

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Should have said - I use XBMC to store and playback the music files - highly recommended (read about it on the Pristine Audio website) and visually a stunner, but, yes, I still often have to adjust the sample rate on the Macbook; I've noticed though, that if you connect your optical cable before switch-on it will still be at 96khz or whatever, if it was at that setting upon switch-off...

Like Beef Oven, I'm happily encumbered with Too Many CDs (all coffee tables submerged long since...), and I'm happy to use discs or downloads... it doesn't have to be an agonised choice!
              Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
              One slight 'gotcha' with high resolution downloads played via iTunes is that you have to set the bitrate using the audio/midi app before launching iTunes. iTunes uses the bitrate that was in place when the program was launched - even if you later change it to the correct rate. The annoying thing is that the Mac doesn't remember the previous setting if it's restarted and reverts to 44.1/16.

Also if using the wifi method I described above the bit rate is limited to 48/16 as Airplay doesn't support higher resolution recordings. With high resolution downloads becoming more popular among audiophiles I'd expect that to change sooner rather than later. With a wired connection such as yours there's no problem playing them, and I agree they can sound superb.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Performer's/s' name..
                Multi performers as well as multi composers (not that rare)?

I've never felt the need to hear music "on the go" - I prefer to read. .
                Hotel rooms? Railway journeys? At the gym? Anywhere where there's other people's noise? CD not much cop there.

As I said: not if you handle them carefully.
                Are you a museum curator?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

CDs take up space. You can't find them. They're not portable. They get scratched. And then they don't work. You know.
                  They don't take up much space.
                  You can find them unless you are extremely disorganised.
                  They only get scratched if you are careless.
                  Every one of my CDs (dating from 1983) works perfectly.

And of course they are portable, being small and light. Even 78s were portable, if a little cumbersome.

We don't want to sound like that absurd Brennan advert.

I do have an iPod, but I use it less and less. It may hold everything, which is extremely clever, but it's less convenient.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    They don't take up much space.
                    You can find them unless you are extremely disorganised.
                    They only get scratched if you are careless.
                    Every one of my CDs (dating from 1983) works perfectly.

And of course they are portable, being small and light. Even 78s were portable, if a little cumbersome.
                    Here's another in complete agreement with Eine A/S. Every one of my CDs works perfectly too - with one exception, the title of which I would not be prepared to reveal in a public forum. (Or the fact that I recently bought a duplicate to replace it. Well we all have our less tasteful moments!)

I am also in the process of having some new shelves built for my collection. Evidence, I think, that Mr Brennan and the Downloads Brigade are getting little interest from this direction. If they stopped manufacturing CDs tomorrow (and they won't), I've still got more than enough to see out my days pleasurably.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                      If they stopped manufacturing CDs tomorrow (and they won't), I've still got more than enough to see out my days pleasurably.
                      My vinyl and CD collection will last my days as well, even if I start listening to all of them tomorrow without acquiring any new ones

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

The pressure from manufacturers to download materials seems rather like Tesco's attempts to persuade shoppers to do the jobs of the staff - i.e. checking out the purchases themselves, presumably in the hope that they can pay fewer staff to work there.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                          If they stopped manufacturing CDs tomorrow (and they won't), I've still got more than enough to see out my days pleasurably.
                          I agree (especially as the day of my demise may be closer than hoped for as the NHS is due to be dismantled).

I have over 3000 CDs and simply don't think it's worth the effort to rip them all to PC. I can find CDs quite easily on the shelf but cannot imagine living without a digital database of my collection. I use OrangeCD Catalog on a daily basis and find it to be marvellous. The first thing I do when buy a new CD is download its details and add it to the database. This easily solves the problem of tracking down items from multi-composer discs and compilation boxes. As a Lieder freak I find it indispensable for finding all versions of a specific song.

On the other hand, if I didn't have so many discs or were starting from scratch I would definitely go down the digital storage route.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Multi performers as well as multi composers (not that rare)?
                            None in my collection.

Hotel rooms?
                            CD "Walkman"
                            Railway journeys?
                            Read books, so as not to disturb fellow travellers!
                            At the gym?
                            I can only quote my partner's response:
                            Anywhere where there's other people's noise?
                            I don't use Bach to drown out other people's "noise": where do you mean? In a city centre? ("Noise" is part of the fun) At a football match? Dinner with the in-laws?
                            CD not much cop there.
                            I find them more than copable.

Are you a museum curator?
                            I wish! No; just a Music-lover who can't believe my good luck that I can hear Tristan whenever I wish and behaves accordingly.

Flippancy aside, I think we have very different needs from Music that our choice of carrier reflects. For me, it is an intense experience to be savoured in the best possible conditions. I tend not to listen casually and cannot "put on" Brahms String Quntets "in the background". I can quite see that, for someone who wants all their Music to accompany them wherever they happen to be, the i-Pod (other portable electronic Music storage devices are available) is a vast improvement on the CD Walkman.

Best Wishes.

Comment

• Panjandrum

None in my collection.
                              So, you don't, for example have any compilation CDs of string quartets or piano concetos by more than one composer and one performer? I find that hard to believe. What about that recording of miscellaneous trumpet works from the 18th century or those 19th century string quartets on Naxos you bought 10 years ago? Sure you can remember the name of the ensemble, even though you've never heard of them since?
                              CD "Walkman"
                              Liable to jump and skip (that's the CD player not you)

Read books, so as not to disturb fellow travellers!
                              Get noise cancelling headphones, then you can set at a volume which will not disturb others.

I can only quote my partner's response:
                              You find the idea of exercise one to be avoided at all costs? That's your choice, but not one conducive to your longevity.
                              I don't use Bach to drown out other people's "noise": where do you mean? In a city centre? ("Noise" is part of the fun) At a football match? Dinner with the in-laws?
                              I'd rather listen to Bach (or Berio for that matter) than some imbecile ranting on his mobile to all the world. You obviously have a higher tolerance to unwanted noise than I have.

I think we have very different needs from Music that our choice of carrier reflects.
                              When did I say that I don't listen to CDs? Not being a member of the flat earth society I am able to appreciate the advantages of both formats. BTW, downloads are capable of CD audio quality.
                              For me, it is an intense experience to be savoured in the best possible conditions. I tend not to listen casually and cannot "put on" Brahms String Quntets "in the background". I can quite see that, for someone who wants all their Music to accompany them wherever they happen to be, the i-Pod (other portable electronic Music storage devices are available) is a vast improvement on the CD Walkman.
                              I am quite capable of intense listening while not necessarily in the ideal audio environment.

Best Wishes.
                              Humbug.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

So, you don't, for example have any compilation CDs of string quartets or piano concetos by more than one composer and one performer?
                                No.
                                I find that hard to believe.
                                Do I tell you my problems?
                                What about that recording of miscellaneous trumpet works from the 18th century or those 19th century string quartets on Naxos you bought 10 years ago? Sure you can remember the name of the ensemble, even though you've never heard of them since?
                                Don't have any.

Liable to jump and skip (that's the CD player not you)
                                Not in my experience: it's a matter of taking care. (But true; jumping and skipping are rare indulgences for me!)

Get noise cancelling headphones, then you can set at a volume which will not disturb others.
                                Prefer to read. Books. Cheaper - less prone to being disturbed by others. (You know, when you've reached the Coda of the slow movement of Bruckner's 8th and somebody wants to get their luggage from the rack above your head and get past you. Reading is more sociable than strangling a fellow passenger - and juries are so unsympathetic, I've found.)

You find the idea of exercise one to be avoided at all costs? That's your choice, but not one conducive to your longevity
                                Ahh; you equate "exercise" with "the Gym"! Mr Lloyd's pension scheme will be very grateful. Walking, gardening and swimming are good enough for me: the Music of insects, birds and animals all I need - and I don't think even Mr Jobs' technology works under water? As to my "longevity", I refer you to the comment my partner made earlier in a different context!

I'd rather listen to Bach (or Berio for that matter) than some imbecile ranting on his mobile to all the world.
                                Well, yeah.
                                You obviously have a higher tolerance to unwanted noise than I have.
                                Well, yeah.

I am quite capable of intense listening while not necessarily in the ideal audio environment.
                                I'm not.

Humbug.
                                Thank you, but I prefer caramels.

Comment

Working...
                                X