Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Oh come on. Would you want to admit to listening to Andrew Lloyd Webber?
    This is creepy!
    Is Bryn my neighbour?

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Yes, there are things in all genres which are good and I'm not ashamed to enjoy.

eg Julie Covington: Don't Cry for me Argentina
      Barbara Dickson: Another Suitcase
      Variations (with Julian on Cello)

And others delivered by good singers of the calibre of Marti Webb

Although not a fan of the complete music but there are those who do like them, and if they like them - so be it!
      Julie Covington made a great Anna 1 in Weill's Seven Deadly Sins at the E.N.O., (must dig out my cassette of the Radio 3 broadcast), but you can keep her, and anyone else's ALW recyclings, thanks.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
        But I mean really bad!!
        Christmas songs by South Park are pretty bad. There are probably worse.
        I once went into a record shop in the USA and there was "music" by Jesus Jones playing - truly dreadful. Just looked them up, and to my amazement they're actually a UK export!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Commercial interests sometimes attempt to destroy a medium by dishonest propaganda. I recall Dixon's/Curry's staff promoting the minidisc by telling everyone it was the Future and that CDs and tapes would be pushed aside by them.

These days, they talk about "digital" when they mean "virtual" - i.e. downloads, which are no more digital than a CD or an abacus. And some TV retailers push 3D TVs on the premise that it will take over completely and that our old sets will be useless very soon. (Personally I find 3D viewing quite tiring.)

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
            DP: you clearly need lessons from my 10-yr old daughter She has wrecked a whole pile of CDs and DVDs that I foolishly lent her.
            I wouldn't class that as 'normal usage'.

I recommend my philosophy of life, which has long held me in good stead, and was found on a carton of slug pellets: Keep away from children and animals!

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Julie Covington made a great Anna 1 in Weill's Seven Deadly Sins at the E.N.O., (must dig out my cassette of the Radio 3 broadcast), but you can keep her, and anyone else's ALW recyclings, thanks.
              Fair enough Bryn

Sneer if you will but not all ALW is dross!

....and having seen via these boards some of the things you appear to champion - you can keep them!

Comment

• amateur51

Fair enough Bryn

Sneer if you will but not all ALW is dross!
                But they're often the bits that aren't pure ALW - the Covington/Argentina recording owed a huge debt to R Strauss

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  But they're often the bits that aren't pure ALW - the Covington/Argentina recording owed a huge debt to R Strauss
                  So that's why I like it so much, I can hear Jesus Christ Superstar in one of the 4 Last Songs also. Don't get me wrong - I put RSt much higher on my list than ALW - ALW borrowed widely and probably more than most, but some of his stuff is worth a listen. Joni Mitchell's You'r my Thrill owes a lot to Wagner but it blows my socks off. Most good tunes and arrangements have been influenced by something that already exists!

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                    I've got a great CD of songs by Charlie Drake's illicit love child. Most people don't know about that baby and the huge star he grew to be.
                    I certainly don't. Who is/was he? Would we know the name?

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      There's also a rather well-known 'song' from Phantom that has part of it lifted straight out of Puccini's La fancuilla del west .

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                        There's also a rather well-known 'song' from Phantom that has part of it lifted straight out of Puccini's La fancuilla del west .
                        ...and guess what - Variations has a link to Paganini!

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

...and guess what - Variations has a link to Paganini!
                          The big surprise in that rare instance is that the original is credited.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

The big surprise in that rare instance is that the original is credited.
                            Well there you Bryn!

I have no intention to defend ALW's originality, it would be difficult anyway. There are, in fact, vast swathes of his output that I don't particularly like, very often delivered by awful singers. I gave you examples of some of the bits I do like and answered you truthfully that I do listen to them, not a lot but they're OK. I think he peaked with the studio recordings of Jesus Christ Superstar and Evita, which included some very good individual performances. Quite frankly I'm at the age and stage of my life where if something is not cool,hip or whatever the 'in' expression of the time is, I don't really care. If anyone wishes to look down their nose and say 'you don't like that do you?' i might just say ' Yes, don't you? - have a listen'

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              I certainly don't. Who is/was he? Would we know the name?
                              He disney know for certain!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                                • Nov 2010

Can anybody tell me what the last couple of dozen posts have to do with The Death of the CD? I'm all for facetious comments when they are neatly placed, but most threads nowadays seem to end up either with mud slinging or in jokes shared by a few.
                                Sorry, to carp, but it's getting very boring !

Comment

Working...
                                X