X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Messiaen - Quartet for the End Of Time

I am not the greatest fan of Messaien -Turangalila leaves me cold - but i did hear this on the radio not long ago and enjoyed it but did not discover the performers . Any recommended recordings ?
  • John Skelton

I'd recommend this http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//2126882.htm. Great intensity, some fantastic playing by Gervase de Peyer and Dorati's as yet unmatched recording of Chronochromie as coupling.
    Last edited by Guest; 26-10-11, 08:35. Reason: Amazon link price too high

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Amici Ensemble on Naxos is more than adequate.

Suggestion for Barbirollians: Send the neighbours out, turn the lights off, switch the hi-fi up and wallow in Turangalia! It can't fail!!

Comment

• John Skelton

The Amazon price for the EMI recording is silly. MDT have it for £7 http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//2126882.htm

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Yes, I'd endorse the Amici on Naxos too. Clear, plenty of space and done with some care and finesse

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            Yes, I'd endorse the Amici on Naxos too. Clear, plenty of space and done with some care and finesse
            It's a great bargain at Sainsbury's for £3.99 inc delivery

Comment

• johnb
              • Mar 2007

I'm not going to recommend a recording as the only one I have is the Yordanoff, Tetard, Desurmont, Barenboim LP, however I feel that it is important that the mystical and visionary quality of the music is brought to life and not all recordings do that.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

I have the version that's coupled with the Turangalila. I saw that live to, while he was at Birmingham. A few years ago now! So Barbirollians will have the Turangalila and the Quartet in one sitting! Maybe with lights out to!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
                  I'd recommend this http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//2126882.htm. Great intensity, some fantastic playing by Gervase de Peyer and Dorati's as yet unmatched recording of Chronochromie as coupling.
                  I'll very much second this recommendation, and add that this single disc issue has a marginally more successful repair of a dodgy tape edit in the Chronochromie recording than the relevant disc in the EMI 14 disc Messiaen box or the earlier French EMI single disc issue have. The 14 disc box also has a alternative recording of the Quatuor. If you would like to hear the Quatuor played by a quartet including two its original performers, there is recording of such a performance in this box:

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Thanks all . I have ordered the de Peyer version . As for Turangalila I am sure Wayne Marshall recommended on Desert Island Discs listening to it late at night in the dark, lying down on the floor after a few glasses .... perhaps i shall try that next

Comment

• makropulos
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      I'll very much second this recommendation, and add that this single disc issue has a marginally more successful repair of a dodgy tape edit in the Chronochromie recording than the relevant disc in the EMI 14 disc Messiaen box or the earlier French EMI single disc issue have. The 14 disc box also has a alternative recording of the Quatuor. If you would like to hear the Quatuor played by a quartet including two its original performers, there is recording of such a performance in this box:

http://www.amazon.fr/Olivier-Messiae.../dp/B001795SIC
                      I'll third that recommendation of the De Peyer et al. EMI record too - it's a wonderful performance. Of more recent ones, I like the playing and recording of the Hebrides Ensemble on Linn, and that has a very interesting programme (Theme and Variations, Fantaisie, Merle noir, Pièce for piano and quartet, and the Quartet for the End of Time. Bryn's also right to mention the old mono recording with Messiaen, the Pasquiers and André Vacellier - Messiaen and Etienne Pasquier having given the first performance in Stalag VIII-A, and all four of them having given the first performance in Paris, on 24 June 1941 at the Théâtre des Mathurins.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

I have just ordered the Previn Turangalila second hand for a song to see if it can convert me as the Chung recording failed to do.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

I enjoyed the de Peyer recording greatly and have to admit to rather enjoying Chronochromie - noisy racket as it is there is a real energy too .

Comment

• johnb
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            I have just ordered the Previn Turangalila second hand for a song to see if it can convert me as the Chung recording failed to do.
                            My conversion was about 20 years ago when I heard it live in Wells Cathedral performed by Rattle and the CBSO with Oli in the audience. Some days before I had played Previn's recording of the final movement to the friend I was taking - and she visibly blanched. (Mind you I wasn't too enthuistic myself.)

At the performance, right from the opening bars I thought "this is going to be good". Perhaps it was the combination of hearing it live and the glorious venue. Afterwards there was a standing ovation and some where even standing on their seats. As I said, it was a conversion for me (and my friend thought it was truly amazing as well).

Comment

Working...
                            X