Your desert island disc Beethoven symphony recordings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

I have lots of individual recordings of the symphonies but also only four sets - Karajan 1960s, Cluytens, Rattle and Wand - . I love the 1960s Karajan in 1,2,4 & 8 but not so much in the others. Cluytens is the most satisfying overall. Despite that he doesn't quite make my individual favourites.

Comment

• Karafan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      Surprised to find I'm alone in my admiration for Scherchen. The recent Tahra transfers of a composite cycle are excellent, as are the Pristine downloads of 2,4 and 8, available in 24/48 if you're keen. The Vienna performances are very characterful, the Royal Philharmonic more polished and virtuoso.

As for sheer numbers, a quick shelf tour has only revealed a mere paltry 10 complete cycles. "Head hang low".
      You are not alone, Jayne! I have him in mono and also on Westminster in stereo (haven't played that particular stereo disc in ages, and am not in front of it as I write, but IIRC it's 3 & 6 coupled - does that give you an idea of the speed?!). The Eroica is very exciting and fleet-of-foot and would give any of the HIP boys a run for their money. Swift and fiery, but with good articulation and balance, is my memory.

Karafan
      "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Dug the Cluytens out today and have greatly enjoyed the 1st and Eroica again .

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Can I claim the record for the least number of complete cycles?. Just the one, 60's Karajan plus various individual recordings.

Comment

• aeolium
            • Nov 2010

Can I claim the record for the least number of complete cycles?. Just the one
            No - I have none. I prefer to have individual performances by different conductors. Also I find the symphonies are broadcast pretty regularly so I don't find I want to collect and listen to multiple sets of them.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
              No - I have none. I prefer to have individual performances by different conductors. Also I find the symphonies are broadcast pretty regularly so I don't find I want to collect and listen to multiple sets of them.
              Doh !

Comment

• Alf-Prufrock

I dug out my Leibowitz set today and have enjoyed dipping into them very much. I bought them in a Reader's Digest Treasury of Beethoven box set for a few pounds in a charity shop a few years ago and have not really given them a chance until now, though they were my favourite performances forty years ago and more. I still find them exhilarating - the thrust and most of the energy of Toscanini in much better sound, with the Beecham Royal Philharmonic in great form.

This correspondence has encouraged me to order the Cluytens set which I also loved in youth. I hope they will also provide a fillip of appreciation and a dollop of nostalgia.

Incidentally, this Reader's Digest has a performance of the Violin Concerto by Erich Gruenberg, conducted by Horenstein. I had no idea I possessed this version! I saw Gruenberg several times in the concert hall, and will acquaint myself with this recording tomorrow. I anticipate delight.

I love too many performances to give a list of favourite ones.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Tempting.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

I have this CD (acquired as part of my faintly obsessive collecting of Horenstein recordings). It's an excellent performance of the Beethoven, quite unflashy (not dissimilar to that of Hermann Krebbers), very well played and somehow sounding 'right'. It was always a good recording and the Chesky re-mastering has made it even better. The Schumann is a work I only listen to seldom but, again, it seems to me to be a very good performance by a now-rather neglected pianist.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Continuing with the Cluytens set again - Nos 2 & 4 , 5 &7 and frankly they have all been a delight . The Seventh playing at the moment is thrilling .

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Yes, I second HD on that, Gruenberg's Vn. Cto. is a great performance. I did buy the complete Leibowitz Beethoven on Chesky, there's an excellent hi-res feel to the remasters, (they boast of 20bit 128x oversampling a to d...) haven't played them for a while but I recall being especially pleased with 2 and 8. They are indeed very HIP-style, when R3 had that all-Beethoven week Norrington chose Leibowitz' 4th as one of his favourites. There aren't many repeats, and the ensemble occasionally betrays a short rehearsal time but should reward the adventurous.
                        Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          Continuing with the Cluytens set again - Nos 2 & 4 , 5 &7 and frankly they have all been a delight . The Seventh playing at the moment is thrilling .
                          Certainly one of my desert island sets and if allowed only one this would be it. I bought this as a Christmas present for myself a couple of festive seasons ago and was bowled over by it. For my money the BPO play better than for Karajan in his contemporary version for DG. Just listen to those glorious winds, oboe especially. Sheer magic!
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                          X