Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

Ferretfancy, I'm afraid I cant help, just had a look but I havent got any recordings by Wittgenstein.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

umslopogaas,

Thanks for checking, I doubt if I've discovered a previously unknown gem !

Bws.
      Ferret

Comment

• umslopogaas
        • Nov 2010

Ferretfancy, I was pleased to try and help, though sorry on this occasion I found nothing to add. But I just thought I'd point out that thanks to my Excel database of my collection, it was no trouble at all. I mention this only because there is some discussion on another thread about whether there is any point in maintaining a database of your collection. Indeed, it has been implied that I am some sort of sad anorak because I do. I've answered that, it was only Mr Gongong and he's a splendid chap, but with rather a forceful style. But to return to the database, all I did was open the file, do a Data/Sort/Sort on Soloist command and scroll down to W to discover I had no recordings of Wallenstein as soloist. Took about ten seconds, but without that facility I could never have known, I cant remember what I've got and I certainly cant find the time to check about forty feet of shelves by eye to find out. So, in my humble view, it does make sense to maintain some sort of searchable list.

Anyway, do keep asking, sooner or later on all those shelves there must be some information worth sharing around.

Comment

• umslopogaas
          • Nov 2010

Woops, sorry, I meant Wittgenstein, not Wallenstein. Getting my pianists and philosophers in a bit of muddle.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

Umslopogaas,

When I got my first computer, an Imac, in 1997, I started using a simple database in what was then called Appleworks. It's split into Orchestral, Chamber, Vocal etc. and then Composer, Work, Soloist and so on, and cross referencing and sorting is quite straightforward. There is also a good search facility. I spent months doing all the data entry, but after that it was easier as I added new acquisitions. I'm sure that my self devised system could be bettered by some of the commercially available systems, but it would be a bit late to change now!
            After all that, I still tend to make for the shelves before checking the screen, but it's often a good thing to use the system to pick out an alternative performance of a work to avoid always choosing a well worn favourite.

You can get quite nicely designed anoraks these days !
            Bws.
            Ferret

Comment

• Nachtigall
              • Nov 2010

@Ferretfancy

I too devised my own database for my CD library in AppleWorks. It's a useful resource and I'm not obviously going to make any comment about anoraks , but a word of warning if you should ever think of upgrading to Apple's latest operating system for the Mac. You'll suddenly find that your database has become inaccessible as all PowerPC software is no longer supported. Fortunately I've managed to anticipate that and after a little research discovered that before upgrading one can (admittedly at some cost) export all the details from one's AppleWorks database, content and fields, in ASCII format, then import them into Bento, the personal database software by FileMaker. The database can then, if one wishes, be synchronised across other devices.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                • Nov 2010

Nachtigall,
                Thanks for that information, I was toying with the idea of buying the Apple Lion upgrade, so that's a good warning for me. I'll find out more before committing myself.
                Presumably I should be able to retrieve Appleworks from my external backup disc, or would the new OS not recognise that? All in all, I think that for the moment I'll stay as I am!

Comment

• Nachtigall
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                  Presumably I should be able to retrieve Appleworks from my external backup disc, or would the new OS not recognise that? All in all, I think that for the moment I'll stay as I am!
                  No, Lion wouldn't recognise it. You'd probably just see the icon blanked out. I haven't yet upgraded to Lion myself, having read so many criticisms of it, particularly its incompatibility with so many bits of software one has become used to.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Going back to Cantelli - the Icon box is very cheap and it appears to be a treasure trove from the first two discs I have played not having any other recordings of his .

Superb Brahms 1 & 3 and some lovely Falla, Ravel and a thrillingly played Sorcerer's Apprentice .

The 1950s Philharmonia ! What an awesome orchestra that was.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      Going back to Cantelli - the Icon box is very cheap and it appears to be a treasure trove from the first two discs I have played not having any other recordings of his .

Superb Brahms 1 & 3 and some lovely Falla, Ravel and a thrillingly played Sorcerer's Apprentice .

The 1950s Philharmonia ! What an awesome orchestra that was.

The playing in Daphnis Suite 2 is simply stunning.

Interesting that my other favourite Daphnis is also with the Philharmonia (Sinopoli)

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Yes stunning indeed - that Falla is pretty stunning too .

And the whole set can be found online for as little as £14

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

What a cracklingly exciting performance of the Franck Symphony in D Minor - in the Monteux class !

Comment

• Acavus
                            • Jun 2012

Yes, the Icon box is an absolutely amazing bargain, especially when one considers that the Mozart, Beethoven, Rossini, Casella, Brahms 1, Wagner, Dukas, de Falla and the Ravel Daphnis are the Testament masterings which, dare I say, are so much better than EMI's own. To cap it all there is a ninth disc 'Remembering Guido Cantelli' which is well worth a listen.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                              Woops, sorry, I meant Wittgenstein, not Wallenstein. Getting my pianists and philosophers in a bit of muddle.
                              ...or even conductors!

Dvorak 9 and Rachmaninov 2 on one CD PDQ methinks and the Rach drastically cut.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

The Mozart K201 is a delight and from the last three movements - what a shame those building works stopped them completing the first movement of Beethoven 5. The wind playing in the Andante in particular is breathtakingly beautiful .

I am marvelling at the playing and performances .

Comment

Working...
                                X