Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert on Archiv - JS Bach harpsichord concertos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert on Archiv - JS Bach harpsichord concertos

I wonder if anyone can provide me with the dates and venue(s) of the recordings of the J.S. Bach harpsichord concertos that Trevor Pinnock made playing and directing the English Concert on Archiv Produktion?
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

The concertos for 4/3/2/1 harpsichords were recorded in February 1981 in the Henry Wood Hall.

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
      The concertos for 4/3/2/1 harpsichords were recorded in February 1981 in the Henry Wood Hall.

http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/ca...sentation=flow
      Hello PJPJ,
      I think some of the others may have been recorded earlier?

Comment

• amateur51

It's no good.
        I have to ask.

Why is the venue/date of a recording important to you, Stan? You do seem mightily exercised by it and if we're going to go through the entire catalogue, I think we should be told

Comment

• PJPJ
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanford's Legacy View Post
          Hello PJPJ,
          I think some of the others may have been recorded earlier?
          That wouldn't surprise me - I'm not convinced by DG's info. Some recordings are analogue and surely predate 1981.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            It's no good.
            I have to ask.

Why is the venue/date of a recording important to you, Stan? You do seem mightily exercised by it and if we're going to go through the entire catalogue, I think we should be told
            I'm really really sorry that my requests for dates etc has unsettled you. I'm sure many of us have our own little foibles. Such as placing your little postscript on your posts, "If you quote from this message, Simon will be able to see it."
            Live and let live I say.

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

I don't think they date from much before then, as The English Concert used to record for CRD before signing for Archiv. Their earliest disc of CPE/JC Bach harpsichord concertos remains a particular favourite of mine. The concerto Wq 14 still thrills me today!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                I don't think they date from much before then, as The English Concert used to record for CRD before signing for Archiv. Their earliest disc of CPE/JC Bach harpsichord concertos remains a particular favourite of mine. The concerto Wq 14 still thrills me today!
                Hiya MickyD,

I also love the music of CPE Bach; a composer who deserves to be far better know. If I recall correctly Pinnock recorded CPE’s music on the CRD label. I’ll have to dig the recording out of storage as I haven’t played it for a while. I just love Mikhail Pletnev’s recording of the CPE Bach’s Sonatas and Rondos on DG which is one of my favourite all time recordings.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

The "solo" Harpsichord Concerti with Strings (BWV 1055-58) were all recorded in the Henry Wood Hall in 1980. BWV1055 & 1058 on 4th & 8th Feb, BWV 1056 & 57 between 28th - 30th November.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

I'm really really sorry that my requests for dates etc has unsettled you. I'm sure many of us have our own little foibles. Such as placing your little postscript on your posts, "If you quote from this message, Simon will be able to see it."
                    Live and let live I say.
                    You're quite right, stan.

I apologise if my original message has upset you - I was just a bit baffled by your repeated request for this type of info, that's all

As to my postscript, you may know that Simon has put me on ignore, so that he doesn't see my messages, as is his right of course - he makes occasional reference to it.

However if someone quotes from one of my messages, Simon will be able to see it - so my postscript alerts people to this possibility

Comment

• reinerfan
                      • Nov 2010

According to my discs the following dates apply:-
                      BWV1052-08/79, BWV1053-02/80, BWV1054-02/80, BWV1055-02/80, BWV1056-11/80, BWV1057-11/80, BWV1058-02/80, BWV1060-10/80, BWV1061-10/80, BWV1062-10/80, BWV1063-02/81, BWV1064-02/81, BWV1065-02/81. BWV1059, for some reason, does not appear in my set.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

I apologise if my original message has upset you - I was just a bit baffled by your repeated request for this type of info, that's all

As to my postscript, you may know that Simon has put me on ignore, so that he doesn't see my messages, as is his right of course - he makes occasional reference to it.

However if someone quotes from one of my messages, Simon will be able to see it - so my postscript alerts people to this possibility
                        Hello amateur51,

Thanks for the information. No harm done. Often these boards are the most helpful place for obtaining all types of information. In fact I find my postings are often a good way of promoting discussion.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

You know he really does read your posts
                          I think he visits as a guest , reads them, feels a bit "dirty" , goes and washes his hands , adjusts his cummerbund and comes back refreshed

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

Hiya MickyD,

I also love the music of CPE Bach; a composer who deserves to be far better know. If I recall correctly Pinnock recorded CPE’s music on the CRD label. I’ll have to dig the recording out of storage as I haven’t played it for a while. I just love Mikhail Pletnev’s recording of the CPE Bach’s Sonatas and Rondos on DG which is one of my favourite all time recordings.
                            Yes, that CRD disc belies its age in my opinion...the concerto Wq14 is one of my favourites and I cannot recall anyone else recording it...strange, it is full of thrilling things. I haven't heard the Pletnev, usually listening to CPE on period instruments, but I'll give it a go on your recommendation.

Back to The English Concert - if I recall correctly, one of the very first discs they did for Archiv was a compilation LP called "A Grand Concert of Musick", which featured various English baroque composers - it introduced me to the Boyce symphonies, for which I will always be grateful.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              You know he really does read your posts
                              I think he visits as a guest , reads them, feels a bit "dirty" , goes and washes his hands , adjusts his cummerbund and comes back refreshed

That thought has cheered me up no end, MrGG

Comment

Working...
                              X