X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rosie55
    • Oct 2011

Saint-Saens CD

Following regular attendance at a sadly no longer running concert series at the Louise Blouin Foundation (apparently, she ran out of money, refused to pay staff and I wonder if the beautiful building still belongs to her?), I came across an eclectic mix of very fine performers. Percussionist Joby Burgess, Juice vocal trio, Claire Booth and her pianist Andrew Matthews-Owen and this remarkable lady Christine Croshaw, who has just released a very fine recording of music for piano (and also his c minor sonata for cello and piano) with the Meridian label.
    A recent feature on her over the Summer reveals that she lost nearly all her sight in 2002 and now has resumed her playing but as a soloist, after a distinguished career as a chamber music and duo partner to Nathan Milstein, Alan Civil and the like.
    Is anyone else aware of this pianist's playing, its so fresh and her new Saint-Saens release contains some very neglected piano music - a great composer indeed!
    Christine Croshaw, British Pianist, Chamber Music Player, Accompanist and Teacher
  • crb11
    • Jan 2011

I haven't heard the Saint-Saens disc yet, but am very fond of her Hummel. I must declare an interest though - she's my aunt! The family have been quite surprised she has managed to carry on performing, recording and teaching as much as she has. (She's taught for some years at the Trinity College of Music too.)

Comment

• Rosie55
      • Oct 2011

How wonderful!
      Your aunt is a remarkable pianist and an even more impressive spirit!
      Did you see the feature on her in Musical Opinion magazine? They ran a Triumph over Adversity article on her and in the same edition, her latest Saint-Saens CD was given an excellent 5 star review.

Comment

• Rosie55
        • Oct 2011

Here's the review of the CD in the same edition of Musical Opinion magazine Proms edition this year

Comment

• Rosie55
          • Oct 2011

Good to know my judgement is not too weathered with age, as this CD has received an excellent review by Ivan March in the January issue of Gramophone

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Rosie55 View Post
            Here's the review of the CD in the same edition of Musical Opinion magazine Proms edition this year
            http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n57806477/
            I think this link is incorrect. The other one at least works partly - for the first page - before one has to pay for the whole article. Interesting story, anyway.

Comment

• Rosie55
              • Oct 2011

Hi Dave, The text of thr article, without the image of the pianist herself, is here so you can read the rest of the article. Do listen to the CD too - Saint-DSaens is much under rated I feel, especially his piano music.

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              I think this link is incorrect. The other one at least works partly - for the first page - before one has to pay for the whole article. Interesting story, anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X