Clear All
  • Rosie55
    • Oct 2011

Jones can be my next investigation...I will report back

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Rosie55 View Post
      Jones can be my next investigation...I will report back
      I quite like Daniel Jones, I have his symphonies 4, 7 & 8 on Lyrita.

What a great label Lyrita was.

Comment

• Rosie55
        • Oct 2011

Superb label who has introduced me to Hoddinott, Rawsthorne and Grace Williams.
        I have heard Daniel Jones...as I have the Welsh Dances CD which features him, Hoddinott and Mathias.
        Great CD!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Rosie55 View Post
          Superb label who has introduced me to Hoddinott, Rawsthorne and Grace Williams.
          I have heard Daniel Jones...as I have the Welsh Dances CD which features him, Hoddinott and Mathias.
          Great CD!
          Egg wetter gree!

My introductions to composers through Lyrita are:

Grace Williams
          John Joubert
          William Alwyn
          Daniel Jones
          Geoffrey Bush
          Arnolde Cooke
          Arthur Benjamin
          Lennox Berkley

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
            Egg wetter gree!

My introductions to composers through Lyrita are:

Grace Williams
            John Joubert
            William Alwyn
            Daniel Jones
            Geoffrey Bush
            Arnolde Cooke
            Arthur Benjamin
            Lennox Berkley
            Applies to me too, but I have to add: Foulds, a lot of otherwise unrecorded works by Holst, Hurlstone, Rawsthorne's symphonies, Sterndale Bennett's piano concertos and Wordworth (the latter a particular favourite of mine, ever since I bought it at -very missed- The Classical Recordplayer in Canterbury in 1993 or so).

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
              • Nov 2010

There is also another Lyrita disc with the 6th & 9th symphonies and the choral The Country Beyond the Stars. I agree about Hoddinott having a certain mystical almost sensuous quality at times. Like Daniel Jones and a number of other composers I admire, he has yet to have all his symphonies commercially recorded.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                Like Daniel Jones and a number of other composers I admire, he has yet to have all his symphonies commercially recorded.
                I wonder if it would be too expensive an enterprise for the BBC? I know there would be cost implications to putting such pieces into a BBC NOW season, (rehearsing for one performance? do they tour abroad ever?) but there would be an automatic recording which at least could be distributed with BBC MM.

Then again, I suppose a lot of composers fall into the same category. Which to choose?

Then again, the Welsh connections would cut the possibilities down a bit!
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Roehre

Grace Williams' Ballads for orchestra featured on a BBC MM CD: vol.15 # 3 from November 2006, combined with Britten's Nocturne op.60 and Plymouth Town.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                    • Nov 2010

It is amazing just how much music by many fine composers has never been commercially recorded. There are also a number of composers who used to have their works broadcast on R3 but have now disappeared entirely like Wilfred Josephs, Thomas Wilson and Benjamin Frankel, the latter did luckily have his symphonies recorded by cpo. Perhaps cpo will fill in many of the symphonic gaps for composers like Jones, Hoddinott and Josephs and American composers like Diamond and Harris as Naxos have been such a letdown and as usual have left valuable projects half-finished whilst going on to record works by complete non-entities whose music perhaps was best left unrecorded. I must try and get hold of a copy of the Daniel Jones String Quartets which chandos recorded when I get the chance, they've also recorded some Hoddinott.

Comment

• aeolium
                      • Nov 2010

I must try and get hold of a copy of the Daniel Jones String Quartets which chandos recorded when I get the chance, they've also recorded some Hoddinott.
                      I think they may be unavailable, sc (though a copy is retailing on the Amazon website for over £65 ).

I saw the Delmes, who recorded those quartets for Chandos, performing two of them in successive years at the Gower Festival, perhaps back in the 1980s.

Comment

• Rosie55
                        • Oct 2011

None of Hoddinott's string works have been recorded either - other than a very good work, Scena for Strings

Comment

• Rosie55
                          • Oct 2011

Heard Claire Booth at the Wigmore the other week with the Nash Ensemble. That band of players are just the most thrilling chamber musicians - one feels one is overhearing the most expressive of conversations hearing them play. Booth on usual top class form too.
                          More adventurous programming like this please Wigmore!

Comment

Working...
                          X