X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rosie55
    • Oct 2011

Claire Booth's new Hoddinott CD

I think this disc is a very fine release from the British Music Society.

Featuring Claire Booth (is she too young to be a National treasure for all she does for new music?), tenor Nicky Spence and pianist Andrew Matthews-Owen, it is the only disc of Hoddinott's songs and on this release we are introduced to some very fine and wholly under rated song cycles.
    All in the English language, using texts by Ursula Vaughan Williams, Rossetti, WB Yeats, Welsh poets including Emyr Humphreys, these are all world premiere recordings.
    It is not difficult to see why this was a Recommended Recording of the month in Gramophone earlier this year.
    I would be interested to hear other listener's thoughts.
    Thanks!
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

I first encountered Claire Booth when she sang the role of the showgirl in John Adam's 'Death of Klinghoffer' at the Edinburgh Festival a few years ago. Since then, I've tried to hear her as often as possible although it's always 'new' music she sings. (Some of it pretty fearsome!)

Comment

• Rosie55
      • Oct 2011

I too saw that - very memorable!
      Yes, she seems to sing some strange music. I have enjoyed all the Knussen she has performed, and the George Benjamin.
      I think you'd enjoy the Hoddinott CD she has released, as it contains some very contemplative and lyrical songs with her.

Comment

• Rosie55
        • Oct 2011

Just got hold of this other CD featuring Claire Booth

I prefer the aforementioned Hoddinott disc she appears on, but Luke Bedford's music has got me very interested - original and beguiling.

Comment

• Rosie55
          • Oct 2011

Having thoroughly enjoyed Miss Booth's BBC R3 broadcast from the Purcell Room last weekend, with pianist Andrew Matthews-Owen, I thought I'd listen to her fine CD of the composer's song cycles and then went on amazon and have ordered a number of orchestral CDs by this fine composer whose versatility impresses me.
          I like his mystical sound world too so here is a link to all Hoddinott available on amazon. Its well worth investigating:

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Rosie55 View Post
            Having thoroughly enjoyed Miss Booth's BBC R3 broadcast from the Purcell Room last weekend, with pianist Andrew Matthews-Owen, I thought I'd listen to her fine CD of the composer's song cycles and then went on amazon and have ordered a number of orchestral CDs by this fine composer whose versatility impresses me.
            I like his mystical sound world too so here is a link to all Hoddinott available on amazon. Its well worth investigating:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...dinott&x=0&y=0
            I've got all the Hoddinott CDs mentioned, and they are really worth investigating.
            However, if interested in Welsh music, IMO Mathias might be the more attractive composer, but let's not forget Grace Williams (one generation older) either.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rosie55 View Post
              Claire Booth (is she too young to be a National treasure for all she does for new music?)
              No, she isn't! (although, as I implied elsewhere, she is not perhaps quite the only British contemporary music soprano who would qualify for such an accolade). That's not, of course, to suggest anything about Claire Booth's age! (and, after all, I know better than to question the age of a soprano!)...

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

My unfocussed dyslexic eyes read this thread firstly as General Booths Hottentott CD....

....carry on
                bong ching

Comment

• Rosie55
                  • Oct 2011

Haha eighthobstruction

ahinton I quite agree and I am a big fan of Linda Hirst, Lori Lixenburg and Anna Dennis too.

I do like Mathias' music, but for me Hoddinott's has a mysticism I find so appealing. Either way, both composers should be heard more on R3, as should Grace Williams! Their operas too...somebody please programme one!

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                    • Nov 2010

...and of course not forgetting that final member of the Welsh quartet, Daniel Jones, whose centenary is this year.

Comment

• aeolium
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                      ...and of course not forgetting that final member of the Welsh quartet, Daniel Jones, whose centenary is this year.
                      Have there been any performances of his music yet on R3 this year, sc?

I know the programme for this summer's Gower Festival includes a showing of a BBC documentary called Fortissimo Jones, but I'm not sure if this is a new or an old film. I think there's likely to be some of his music scheduled as well but I haven't yet seen the full programme details.

Comment

• Roehre

Of course -
                        btw, as far as I can see, no music by Daniel Jones unavailable on CD has been broadcast the last couple of years anyway

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Took the words from my fingers, Suffy!

And does anyone know anything about the Music of David Wynne (b 1900 - ?)? I have a booklet full of Music Examples published in 1979 and it's tantalized me for years. If Mathias' language has its source in the Tippett of the 1950s, Wynne's seems closer to the Tippett Concerto for Orchestra.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Took the words from my fingers, Suffy!

And does anyone know anything about the Music of David Wynne (b 1900 - ?)? I have a booklet full of Music Examples published in 1979 and it's tantalized me for years. If Mathias' language has its source in the Tippett of the 1950s, Wynne's seems closer to the Tippett Concerto for Orchestra.
                            He died in 1983. I must admit that I have never heard one single piece of his.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                              • Nov 2010

Daniel Jones has had 3 pieces Broadcast in total on R3 since the start of 2008, nothing this year!!! For G Williams the figure is 17 (mostly in 2008), for Hoddinott 16, like Williams mostly in 2008. For Matthias it is 42, with a considerable proportion in 2009, if memory serves my well it is mainly his shorter choral works that account for most of these.

Comment

Working...
                              X