X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahlerei
    • Jul 2024

BD blues

We've touched on the issue of Blu-rays before but I'm still puzzled by the high number of defective discs. The Abbado Mahler cycle have quite a few issues, as do some Naxos ones. OpusArte seem the best by far, and Accentus look/sound impressive. The Euroarts disc of the opening concert at Salzburg 2010 is the latest botch, the PCM stereo mix more like a mono radio recording from the 1960s and the 1080p picture surprisingly soft. When the format's USP is superior picture and sound - and it's more expensive than DVD - this is just unforgivable.
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

I haven't tried blu-ray - with the defective disc scenario why should I? - but once again I think it is a case of the technology being put on the market before it is ready. Disenchantment from punters will kill it stone dead if the manufacturers don't get their act together.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

I've been using BD since a free player arrived with a new Sony telly when they were still doing battle with the other HD format discs, maybe 3 years ago. I've never bought (I must have around 40) or rented a defective one, this is the first I've heard of there being a problem.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Mahlerei

Petrushka

I'd say the format is just fine, it's sloppy authoring that's the big problem. A good BD on a 1080p screen and plumbed into a decent hifi is quite an experience.

caliban

The Abbado Mahler problems are well documented, and I've had issues with two Naxos discs - one refused to play and the other, the Wit Mahler 8, has a surround mix that seems to have been artificially created. I've also seen criticism of some ballet discs that suffer from so-called motion blur. The most disappointing has to be the Salzburg 2010 concert, although that was a review copy. It sounds fine in the mixed down surround layer though. Some labels are also rather coy about identifying the soundtracks in terms of bit-rates, merely saying they are created from 'HD sources'.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-10-11, 00:30.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
          • Mar 2007

Mahlerei, I've got the Wit Mahler 8 blu-ray for a round-up review, but haven't tried it yet... will do so soon.

Do try and see the new Mariinsky blu-ray - their first - of Tchaikovsky 4-6. Superb.
          Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Mahlerei

Hello IGI

I'm sure you won't be disappointed by the Wit Mahler 8, certainly not in the PCM stereo version. i have the Gatti Elektra to review tomorrow and the Chailly Mahler 2 and 8 and Thielemann Beethoven box as well.

Thanks for the tip re the Mariinsky Tchaikovsky. I take it you have the Acosta Romeo and Juliet? By far the best all-round ballet BD I've seen to date. The Dutch Ballet's Don Quichotte not far behind.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-10-11, 00:31.

Comment

• Pilchardman

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              I haven't tried blu-ray - with the defective disc scenario why should I? - but once again I think it is a case of the technology being put on the market before it is ready. Disenchantment from punters will kill it stone dead if the manufacturers don't get their act together.
              I haven't tried blu ray either. I don't know what the uptake rate is, but I suspect the issue is not so much that the technology isn't ready, but that's it's an answer to a problem most people don't have.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

Slightly distorting the theme of the thread - not so much 'blues' as BD audio - I've just ordered a new player for my surround system which adds BluRay to the current SACD/CD/DVD mix. While I already have a BD video player (so have some of the Abbado Mahler, some opera already), are there any recommendable BluRay audio discs out there? I was somewhat taken aback by the comments about the Mahler 8 so any recommendations gratefully received. I've got the 2L Trondheim Soloists Bartok/Britten disc in SACD so I know that sounds astonishingly good but I was wondering about other Naxos issues.

Comment

• PJPJ
                  • Nov 2010

There's a forthcoming 2L called "Souvenir" - see http://2l.no/ - on my to-get list.

I still haven't fixed myself up with a BD player as connecting to a Linn Unidisk SC seems a problem.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    I have purchased numerous Blu-Rays since I brought my player last year, and have not had one defective disc in all that time. Blu-Ray was more than ready before it went to market, and to suggest that the format is doomed just because of a small number of defective discs is frankly absurd.

The leap in picture and sound quality over standard DVDs is massive, assuming of course that you have the equipment to do the format justice.
                    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

What does BD stand for?
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Alf-Prufrock

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        What does BD stand for?
                        Bluray Disc.

I have 42 of them now, and not one was faulty. The leap in quality over DVD is staggering, in my opinion, and that includes the sound. I even have two operas in 7.1 sound, which I can play, and the all-round ambience is wonderful. But even the 5.1 discs are excellent.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Many thanks. I don't think they work on my turntable
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Many thanks. I don't think they work on my turntable

Comment

• Mahlerei

In principle Blu-ray should be superior to DVD in every respect but I've been surprised at the number of Blu-rays with authoring problems and variable sound and picture quality. The very best ones are indeed staggering - the Acosta Romeo & Juliet and Chailly's Mahler 2 for instance - but they are the exception, not the rule. And given that they sell at a hefty premium over the equivalent DVDs that ain't good enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X