How much do you spend on CDs and recorded music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

John

Like you I sometimes have to use Access, and then I do make use of its relational properties. Interested to note that your migration route from Squeezebox requires a relational DB.

In the past I used the database component of Claris/Appleworks, and I think Filemaker was similar, though has now gone more relational. Another erstwhile DB product was/is FoxPro. There is yet another DB in OpenOffice (or LibreOffice - free), and I believe that Ability Office (cheapish) has a decent DB.

Flat file databases do have one advantage over spreadsheets - which is that it's usually much harder to erase or modify data without at least being aware of it. Also, as you point out, it's often possible to exchange data between a spreadsheet and a database, and it's frequently easier to enter data into a spreadsheet. Mostly I didn't find having a flat file database very useful, but for situations where one wants to focus in on just one or two records (CDs? )they can be helpful. Another thing which can be done more easily with a DB is to write longer notes, which could really fill up screen space on a spreadsheet.

Apple now seem to have similar flat file systems for the iPad and the Mac OS - called Bento. I've not tried these, but some people might like them - and there's also a version for iPhones I think, which might help some people if they're about to make an impulse buy in a CD shop but can't remember which was the last version of Mahler 9 they bought, and need to check whether they've got three more copies back at home, two of them unwrapped!

Comment

• johnb
      • Mar 2007

Dave,

In the Squeezebox database there are separate tables for albums, tracks, contributor (i.e. performer), comments, genre, etc, etc. All are linked to each other by ID references within those tables and also using separate 'index' tables e.g. contributor_track (linking contributor ID to track ID), contributor_album (linking contributor ID to album ID), etc.

Comment

• rchance

Classifile

Thanks all to the many suggestions but I already have a database and am very reluctant to start all over again.

Classifile is simple to use and very fast and responsive. How else to locate all of the recordings of, say, a Bach Cello suite, whether on a sampler, a compilation, or whatever, on CD, LP, etc?

So is there anyone out there who knows how to transfer Classifile from one PC to another? I recall getting these instructions from the designer before he retired, but I cannot find them.

Comment

• johnb
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by rchance View Post
          So is there anyone out there who knows how to transfer Classifile from one PC to another? I recall getting these instructions from the designer before he retired, but I cannot find them.
          I have no knowledge of Classifile but I would guess that you need to first install the software on the new PC then identify the database file that holds your data and copy that file over to the same location (if possible) on the new PC.

If Classifile has a File Open command then you could use that to identify the database file it is using and its location - but then cancel and back out without making any changes.

Similarly, you could use File Open to open the old database file on the new PC once you have copied the file across. (USB memory sticks are very useful for copying files.)

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Is this Classifile - http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/A...rporation.html

Looks like you could just download it again, though you'd probably need an unlock key. The developer might have q record and could send you a new one, or you might just have to pay again. If you can find the database files, and if it's the right program, then it should surely just load up if you use the File Open as johnb suggests.
            Last edited by Dave2002; 14-09-11, 20:17.

Comment

Working...
            X