X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

The first stereo version of 1812 was a Decca recording with Kenneth Alwin and (I think) the LSO. Apart from a little sound compression shortly before the triumphant return of the opening Russian hymn, this recording still ranks with the best, and I prefer it to the more famous Mercury/Dorati version. But although very popular on LP, it has never been issued on CD, as far as I'm aware.

Comment

• makropulos
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      The first stereo version of 1812 was a Decca recording with Kenneth Alwin and (I think) the LSO. Apart from a little sound compression shortly before the triumphant return of the opening Russian hymn, this recording still ranks with the best, and I prefer it to the more famous Mercury/Dorati version. But although very popular on LP, it has never been issued on CD, as far as I'm aware.
      It has been reissued on CD (the whole contents of SXL 2001 including 1812) by Pristine Classical, available either as a CD or as a download.
      Superb award-winning historic classical, jazz and blues recordings restored and remastered to the highest standards. CDs, HD downloads and streaming services.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Makropulos, your knowledge of the CD catalogue never ceases to amaze me.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Was this the Phase 4 stereo disc that included the Band of the Grenadier Guards? I saw a second-hand CD of this in London only the other day but can't remember where it was. May have been Harold Moores in Great Marlborough Street.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

No, the Phase 4 one came around 10 years later, with a smaller dynamic range, in the character of this label.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Every week, I look and hope for a reissue of Ingrid Haebler's complete Mozart Piano Concerto box set.

Every week, I am disappointed.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Every week, I look and hope for a reissue of Ingrid Haebler's complete Mozart Piano Concert box set.

Alpensinf: - me too!!

I still have the box set of LPs, much played in the old days; at the moment no record player to play them on. Surely Philips could see sense and give us a nice box of CDs?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

They did make it available briefly. I can only assume they preferred promoting the Brendel set.

Oh, I see this is my 3000th posting. First to 1000, first to 2000, but french frank beat me to 3000 by a mile.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                    • Nov 2010

Every week, I look and hope for a reissue of Ingrid Haebler's complete Mozart Piano Concerto box set.

Well, in compensation, last time I 'looked' you could still get her complete Johann Christian Bach concertos, all 27 (spooky) of them.
                    Last edited by Tony Halstead; 19-09-11, 19:15. Reason: wrong spelling of 'Johann'!

Comment

• makropulos
                      • Nov 2010

Why don't you write to Newton Classics? This is exactly the sort of thing they are interested in reissuing and most of their catalogue is Philips based.
                      newtonclassics.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, newtonclassics.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

LOL. I think we should rename this thread 'Entering here will seriously damage your wallet!'. That's two more excellent sources of music that I'd not come across before.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                          Why don't you write to Newton Classics? This is exactly the sort of thing they are interested in reissuing and most of their catalogue is Philips based.
                          http://www.newtonclassics.com/7/contact
                          I've now contacted Newton Classics with my suggestion. Now it's time to wait and see. But thank you for the suggestion, Makropulos.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
                            LOL. I think we should rename this thread 'Entering here will seriously damage your wallet!'.
                            Bank balances were harmed during the making of this forum

Comment

• makropulos
                              • Nov 2010

I've now contacted Newton Classics with my suggestion. Now it's time to wait and see. But thank you for the suggestion, Makropulos.
                              I really hope they take you up on this idea - it really is just the sort of set they are likely to want to do. Personally I'd rather they'd got around the this before Magaloff's Chopin set which is one of the big boxes in the most recent release. But I'm inclined to wait with a bit of optimism. Really pleased you contacted them.

Comment

Working...
                              X