X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

Flab

I wonder how many others are troubled by the over reverberant recordings which are still appearing on some labels? I recently bought the new Delius CD by the BBCSO and Andrew Davis of Appalachia and Song of the High Hills. This is a Chandos disc recorded at All Saints Tooting. Much of the quieter music lives in a sort of woolly reverent haze, perhaps in tribute to the ecclesiastical venue? There is very little sense of a sound stage, and if you increase the gain the enormous dynamic range produces climaxes that could kill the neighbour's dog.Because of this, the wonderful climax following the baritone's entry simply batters the ears.

As far as I can recall, no critic has commented on the sound quality, in fact the disc has been praised, although I would say it's almost impossible to pick out a performance through the fog.

Just for comparison, I've listened to the performances of Appalachia by Beecham and Barbirolli, and there's really no comparison, even though Beecham's
    performance is in rather elderly mono, both these great conductors give us Delius completely convincingly.

The Davis CD case is covered with logos for SACD, DTS, Multi-channel, CD compatibility, etc. but I'm beginning to feel that we have made little progress in recent years where clarity and transparency are so rarely achieved. I should perhaps add that my sound system delivers great results normally.
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

I rarely buy Chandos recordings of that venue and can fully identify with the
    shortcomings you mention.

The music simply doesn't connect with me, the listener.

A much tighter and more immediate sound is my preference such was achieved
    regularly by (eg) the Lyrita team working in London.

Comment

• Mahlerei

Agreed. All Saints Tooting is not the kindest of recording venues.

Good point about the variety of 'mixes' which must call for an array of microphones for stereo and multichannel. Recent experiences with Blu-rays offering stereo/multichannel has indicated that some labels simply create a multichannel mix artificially from a stereo source. Who's to say some stereo recordings aren't downmixed from multichannel, with all the compromises that entails?

Another peeve of mine is the low level recording that forces one to crank up the volume in quiet passages only to be blasted away in the tuttis.

Comment

Working...
      X