X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Auferstehen2
    • Sep 2024

White hot!

Just returned from Manchester (a somewhat happy city currently, where even our noisy neighbours did well this weekend), and of course, I loaded up with CDs before returning home to the warm Med.

Many Cds again were bought, amongst which was a collection of old Karajan recordings. My God, the ferocity of the man’s performances when he was younger! I have just listened to Rossini’s Semiramide overture, and just sat there simply awed at the brass playing (and how they managed to keep up with his ferocious beat I’ll never know), not to mention the strings’ miraculous virtuosity! The Orchestra Sinfonica della RAI di Torino was recorded in October 1942. The recording is excellent considering its age, except for a VERY wide dynamic range.

There are 10CDs in the box, priced at £10.50 from Membran Music (never heard of this label I’m afraid). I’ll listen to the rest and report back if anyone is interested.

Best wishes to all,

Mario
  • Gordon
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Auferstehen2 View Post
    Just returned from Manchester (a somewhat happy city currently, where even our noisy neighbours did well this weekend)
    Didn't they both do well - and Arsenal flagging to say the least!! Or did you mean Liverpool!?! They beat Arsenal too.

Many Cds again were bought, amongst which was a collection of old Karajan recordings. My God, the ferocity of the man’s performances when he was younger! I have just listened to Rossini’s Semiramide overture, and just sat there simply awed at the brass playing (and how they managed to keep up with his ferocious beat I’ll never know), not to mention the strings’ miraculous virtuosity! The Orchestra Sinfonica della RAI di Torino was recorded in October 1942. The recording is excellent considering its age, except for a VERY wide dynamic range.
    I had those recordings on cassette acquired in Italy years ago and I was astounded too at the intensity from an apparently provincial band. Karajan's best years in some ways were his early ones including those in London when he was still learning and his control freakery not so evident. Its a great set.

There are 10CDs in the box, priced at £10.50 from Membran Music (never heard of this label I’m afraid). I’ll listen to the rest and report back if anyone is interested.
    Membran is a bit like Brilliant classics but smaller scale. They have quite a few 10Cd boxes of vintage conductors and performers including Beecham, Barbirolli [NYPO plus] and Celibidache [a couple of London rarities with LPO at Kingsway Hall]. Transfers variable but some really good stuff there at such a low price.

Comment

Working...
    X