X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barber olly
    • Jun 2024

Manfred or Alpine Symphony

As I listened to Alpine Symphony this morning I thought of a hypothetical scenario where unlike a normal situation for many cntributors to this board whose heaving shelves have many versions of many things. Just imagine for a moment you have JUST ONE blank CD which you use to burn on either Tchaik's Manfred or R Strauss' Alpine Sym. Your decision is important as you will not be able to listen to the other, this being the last addition to a limited collection which will be your only listening for a trip to faraway climbs over the next nine months. So which is it to be and whose recording?
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
    As I listened to Alpine Symphony this morning I thought of a hypothetical scenario where unlike a normal situation for many cntributors to this board whose heaving shelves have many versions of many things. Just imagine for a moment you have JUST ONE blank CD which you use to burn on either Tchaik's Manfred or R Strauss' Alpine Sym. Your decision is important as you will not be able to listen to the other, this being the last addition to a limited collection which will be your only listening for a trip to faraway climbs over the next nine months. So which is it to be and whose recording?
    No contest really. I'd record Manfred, as I've got plenty of Alpines and only 2 Manfreds, one of which is on LP.

Incidentally, I have this morning's version on CD and it's one of the fastest ever recorded

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Neither - but I'm open to offers for the blank CD.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

I'd go - albeit with reluctance at having to exclude the other - for Strauss's Alpine Symphony for the Epilogue alone. I know that EA will not approve of my chosen version but it just has to be BPO/Karajan so I can hear those magnificent horns in 'On the Summit' playing the theme strongly reminiscent of the Bruch Violin Concerto. And it has the most moving epilogue on disc. It's a birth-to-death piece for me rather than a mountain hike and Karajan understands this.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• StephenO

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          No contest really. I'd record Manfred, as I've got plenty of Alpines and only 2 Manfreds, one of which is on LP.

Incidentally, I have this morning's version on CD and it's one of the fastest ever recorded
          A veritable race for the summit! Personally I prefer my Alpine climbs rather more on the leisurely side. More time to enjoy the scenery.

I love both works and, having a mere three recordings of each, it's a difficult choice. If I really had to choose, I think it would be the Alpine Symphony - but if they're both played as fast as this morning's performance, couldn't I fit both on a single disc?!

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I love both works to. i have I think, 3 versions of Manfred(or 4?), andas it happens, 3 versions(or 4?), of alpine. hmmmmmm..........
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I'm very happy with the Maazel recording of Manfred. His Alpine may well be good too, but his is one of the few I don't have, owing to the fact that it's only available in a box set.

Comment

• Flay
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                And it has the most moving epilogue.... It's a birth-to-death piece for me rather than a mountain hike....
                I've got the epilogue earmarked for my funeral, as I depart behind the curtains (hopefully in another 30 years or so...). I love the work, no contest for me.

Recently I walked the West Highland Way (in the wrong direction). Towards the end of a long stretch (Kinlochleven to Bridge of Orchy, about 22 miles) there was a climb of 500 feet or so. It was getting late, I was absolutely pooped and soaked, and as usual lagging behind the rest. Fortunately had put the Alpine on my trusty ipod. Just as I reached the cairn at the top, the music reached its own summit. It was enormously uplifting - I found myself singing along loudly to the world (fortunately nobody!). The descent after that felt easy. Wonderful music!
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

For the epilogue, I don't think you can beat the BBC Jansons and the Askenazy versions. Quite stunning.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Not even a nanosecond of thought required to decide to take the Strauss. I'd be inclined to go for the recent Nelssons version I heard on CDR as it sounded magnificent and I really want to hear it....
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Mahlerei

Oh I dunno; Haitink Mk 2 (LSO Live) is pretty special in the Epilogue (and just about everywhere else too).

And I'm not even a Bernie fan.....

Comment

• Flay
                        • Mar 2007

Spotifying it just now - I see what you mean by special: a clean sound, and no harshness on the E flat clarinet & flute outburst towards the end.
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Mahlerei

Hullo Flay

Haven't seen you around these parts for a very long time

That Alpine isn't an impetuous, young man's view but a deeply considered rather lofty one. Another one I like very much - and it's the polar opposite of Haitink's - is Nagano and the Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin on DVD. Phenomenal breadth and depth of sound, although the camerawork is a bit tricksy.

Comment

Working...
                          X