• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alf-Prufrock
    • Jun 2024

Gramophone Classical Music Awards nominations 2011

These nominations are now out.

The pro-British bias is blatant, more so I think than before. All three choral finalists from British composers ? Uh?
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

If you think this is bad, Alf, you should try watching the French "Victoires de la Musique" classical awards on TV each year - practically every award given is to French performers, so much so that they designate a single Foreign Performer award....you could be inclined to think that no other country has any classical musicians!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alf-Prufrock View Post
      The pro-British bias is blatant, more so I think than before. All three choral finalists from British composers ? Uh?
      Well Delius wasn't really British, so only 2 out of 6 can claim this accolade.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        ...only 2 out of 6 can claim this accolade.
        Two out of three if we're talking about the issues shortlisted for the choral award - they're the asterisked ones - as I believe Alf was.

It does make you wonder what happened to all those American identikit composers this year.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Well Delius wasn't really British, so only 2 out of 6 can claim this accolade.
          Do you mean he was really German - or French - or Floridan?

Comment

• mathias broucek
            • Nov 2010

Orchestral is Anglo-centric too. Two British orchestras out of three and the Czech orchestra conducted by someone who many regard as an honorary Brit (dunno what he would have thought of that).

But as has been noted, much less parochial than French awards!

Comment

• barber olly

Bearing in mind what many think of The Gramophone nowadays, do these awards really matter. How much are sales influenced by being an award holder. Makes me think of the CDM. And even that's credit rating is probably devalued now Cadbury's is American!

Comment

Working...
              X