X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Jascha Horenstein Brahms

Found a copy of his Danish Radio recording on a slightly bronzed Unicorn CD- not the cheapest but fortunately it plays well .

What a marvel of a performance- I understand he could be difficult but what results he produced in this work. It,s thrilling lots of tension but also much warmth - edge of seat stuff.
  • Mario
    • Aug 2020

Forgive me Barbirollians, but as I quite like JH, what Brahms is he doing please?

Mario

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Auferstehen View Post
      Forgive me Barbirollians, but as I quite like JH, what Brahms is he doing please?

Mario
      Brahms Symphony No 2 - sorry

Comment

• Mario
        • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        Brahms Symphony No 2 - sorry
        Great, thanks!

Mario

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

As discussed elsewhere it is vexing those Reader’s Digest records Horenstein made have appeared so fleetingly on Chesky discs now it seems all deleted .

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            As discussed elsewhere it is vexing those Reader’s Digest records Horenstein made have appeared so fleetingly on Chesky discs now it seems all deleted .
            Absolutely. I was a bit obsessed with Chesky CDs at one time, and among many others I bought the Gold CD of the LSO/Horenstein Brahms 1st.
            If you want the Brahms to leap out of the speakers at you and pin you to the chair, that oughtta do it... Beggars description.

His two volumes of Strauss Waltzes with the Vienna State were lovely too.

Reiner's RPO Brahms 4 on Chesky was terrific. Some of these are still floating around online, but.... the prices, well.....

(...but right now, Norrington's Mozart 25 is playing.... I want for nothing....)
            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 12-11-21, 02:44.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

I guess I’m glad that I bought all of those Chesky CDs and still have them. I have the Reader Digest and the Vox Firsts. I am actually listening to the Wild/JH Rachmaninov Second right now.
              Did JH record a complete Brahms cycle for Vox? I know that I also have 3, but the 2 that I have is, I believe, the same recording mentioned in the OP, and I don’t think I have a 4 by JH.
              Pristine Audio has a huge trove of JH recordings, most of them live performances from the private collection of JH cousin Mischa. Many of the Vox recordings are in that haul. I downloaded the remastered Vox Eroica because apparently, per Andrew Rose, the channels were reversed on the original Vox issue, but tbh, I couldn’t perceive a lot of difference between the download and the Vox CD. Perhaps Vox corrected the issue when they released the CD. I am not sure how Pristine could have reversed this without access to the master tape, but they can do all kinds of wizardy.

Comment

Working...
              X