• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
    I have actually got the HEAD LP of Ferneyhough's 'Transit'
    Drooling with lust / Green with Envy emoticons!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• umslopogaas
      • Nov 2010

Well, better lust and envy than the usual shrug of incomprehension that mention of that Fernyhough LP usually evokes! He doesnt seem to be very well served by the recording industry, he doesnt even get an entry in the 2005/6 or 2010 Penguin Guides. And I admit, I know of no other music by him, though the sleeve notes refer to "an impressive list of works."

Comment

• Mahlerei

umslopogaas

Yes indeed, the two works make the 2CD set:

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Obscure records had some great stuff in the 1970's
          as did
          Les Disques du Crépuscule

Comment

• Stunsworth
            • Nov 2010

If we're talking about unusual covers, one's that didn't really suit the artistes involved, I can't help wondering what Sir Adrian Boult thought of this one...

Steve

Comment

• Chris Newman
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Westminster Gold were extraordinary. Several people have mentioned them before. But they deserve to be treasured as mementoes of times that would not be allowed these days. Oh, what fun!!

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                If we're talking about unusual covers, one's that didn't really suit the artistes involved, I can't help wondering what Sir Adrian Boult thought of this one...

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1754917
                A parallel of how R3 is now trying to bring the young trendies into the fold?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                  Well, better lust and envy than the usual shrug of incomprehension that mention of that Fernyhough LP usually evokes! He doesnt seem to be very well served by the recording industry, he doesnt even get an entry in the 2005/6 or 2010 Penguin Guides. And I admit, I know of no other music by him, though the sleeve notes refer to "an impressive list of works."
                  Allow me:

Best Wishes.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

I'd love a copy of this

For interesting covers etc I would thoroughly recommend Trunk Records

Comment

• umslopogaas
                      • Nov 2010

Many thanks Ferneyhoughgeliebte, that'll be enough to be getting on with! I shall approach with some caution, it would be easy to catch a bad case of Fernyhough indigestion.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

My pelasure, umslop: the youTube "videos" are a good way of easing this rich fare into your diet! (There's even the Transit recording, albeit split over five "parts"). Of the CDs available on Presto, I'd recommend the METIER/Redgate or KAIROS discs.

Back to Thread: has anyone mentioned Hallmark (IIRC) Classics? They used to be sold in supermarkets in the early-mid '70s at 50p (the silver price sticker in the shape of the then-new 50p piece), and included the BaL recommendation of the Emperor Concerto, controversially chosen by Joseph Cooper. I also remember a fine Beethoven 3PC and a pairing of the Bach E major Vln Conc with the 3rd Orch Suite.

Comment

• Lion-of-Vienna
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Back to Thread: has anyone mentioned Hallmark (IIRC) Classics? They used to be sold in supermarkets in the early-mid '70s at 50p (the silver price sticker in the shape of the then-new 50p piece), and included the BaL recommendation of the Emperor Concerto, controversially chosen by Joseph Cooper.
                          I still have that one. Hanae Nakajima with the Nuremberg Symphony Orchestra conducted by Rato Schupp. At the time of the review I think it was on Windmill. Nakajima also plays the Emperor in the am@do classics complete Beethoven edition.

Comment

Working...
                          X