Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Only listened to the First Concerto so far. Very fine playing from Schiff and illuminating to hear the piece played on a 1870s Bluthner . I am less sure about conducting these pieces from the keyboard. As much as I have enjoyed hearing the OAE in the First Concerto I found the orchestral contribution very much just an accompaniment.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

I think I’ll have to round to hearing this recording!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Less happy with the Second - some lovely playing but Schiff sounds a bit effortful in places and I am not surprised Brahms was writing letters asking for a Steinway or a Bechstein . Listening afterwards to Solomon it just sounds a much greater work

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          Less happy with the Second - some lovely playing but Schiff sounds a bit effortful in places and I am not surprised Brahms was writing letters asking for a Steinway or a Bechstein . Listening afterwards to Solomon it just sounds a much greater work
          Playing a late 19th Century Steinway or Bechstein?

Comment

• Richard Barrett
            • Jan 2016

I can't say that I've gone deeply into these recordings as yet. Getting over my aversion to Brahms is a bit of an effort, in particular getting over the feeling that these pieces are as it were concertos for piano versus orchestra with the soloist as romantic hero, but listening to Schiff et al I felt for the first time that it's music for piano with orchestra, or indeed with a greatly expanded chamber ensemble, and this is a big plus for me. But it's still Brahms...

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
              I can't say that I've gone deeply into these recordings as yet. Getting over my aversion to Brahms is a bit of an effort, in particular getting over the feeling that these pieces are as it were concertos for piano versus orchestra with the soloist as romantic hero, but listening to Schiff et al I felt for the first time that it's music for piano with orchestra, or indeed with a greatly expanded chamber ensemble, and this is a big plus for me. But it's still Brahms...
              The 1st concerto I have long regarded as one I could take or leave. The 2nd is quite a different kettle of fish. To mix a metaphor with a simile, I took to it like a duck to water. That was via Gilels and Reiner. My joy at hearing Schiff in both concertos at the RFH has, just possibly, already been mentioned.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Playing a late 19th Century Steinway or Bechstein?
                Who knows ? Whilst I found the First somewhat clarified by the less powerful forces . I just don’t feel the Second comes off as well . It didn’t move or inspire me.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

The last movement of the D minor concerto played by Alexander Melnikov on a 19th century piano as broadcast this morning was superb.

Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    The last movement of the D minor concerto played by Alexander Melnikov on a 19th century piano as broadcast this morning was superb.
                    I was expecting a 19th century Bluthner to sound more mellow. This one seemed strangely harsh.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                      • Apr 2014

He played it very well and I found a lot of the orchestral voicing interesting but as a Blüthner owner (1905 Model 6 ) I have to say his 1859 Blüthner sounded a bit clapped out - dare I say even “honky-tonk”? He would have been welcome to borrow mine….
                      Last edited by Ein Heldenleben; 21-08-21, 15:50.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        I was expecting a 19th century Bluthner to sound more mellow. This one seemed strangely harsh.
                        You beat me to it - it didn’t sound mellow at all….

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                          He played it very well and I found a lot of the orchestral voicing interesting but as a Blüthner owner (1905 Model 6 ) I have to say his 1859 Blüthner sounded a bit clapped out - dare I say even “honky-tonk”? He would have been welcome to borrow mine….
                          I agree it sounded honky-tonk - but I liked it anyway!

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

I only caught a bit of it, on a small portable DAB radio. I will wait until it becomes streamable on QOBUZ to listen in better conditions. The Cherubini is already streamable there in Hi-Res.

Comment

• Wolfram
                              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              The 1st concerto I have long regarded as one I could take or leave. The 2nd is quite a different kettle of fish. To mix a metaphor with a simile, I took to it like a duck to water. That was via Gilels and Reiner. My joy at hearing Schiff in both concertos at the RFH has, just possibly, already been mentioned.
                              Gilel's first recording with Reiner is absolutely electric. Once you've heard it you'll never want to sleep through his remake with Jochum again.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Wolfram View Post
                                Gilel's first recording with Reiner is absolutely electric. Once you've heard it you'll never want to sleep through his remake with Jochum again.
                                Back then there were Gilels/Reiner, Serkin/Ormandy and Katchen/Ferencsik - all excellent! All three conductors born in Budapest!

Comment

Working...
                                X