Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=Bryn;854926]For those on FB, can I recommend one of the discussion groups there, "The beauty of historical pianos"?[/QUOTE)

Thanks for that link, Bryn, it will provide much pleasant diversion when I go into hospital this week!

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

Thanks for that link, Bryn, it will provide much pleasant diversion when I go into hospital this week!
      You too? I'm currently self-isolating prior to (thankfully) day surgery on an ankle on Wednesday. PCR was reported back as negative, earlier today. Hope all goes well for you.
      Last edited by Bryn; 18-07-21, 19:44. Reason: Quote sorted out.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

I still haven't really listened to this recording - it came out in the middle of a flurry of end-of-academic-year stuff after which I went off on holiday for two weeks, ending (sadly) tomorrow. I guess it could be the recording to change my mind about these pieces. Hope so.

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

As a lover of words, I was pleased to see that shamefully neglected adjective 'wiry' make an appearance. For some reason, Gary Cooper immediately came to mind, followed by Randolph Scott.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            You too? I'm currently self-isolating prior to (thankfully) day surgery on an ankle on Wednesday. PCR was reported back as negative, earlier today. Hope all goes well for you.
            I hope all goes well for you. As for me, I had excellent news last week - the scanner showed that my lymphoma is in total remission, so now I can go into hospital this Wednesday and do the graft as planned. Four to six weeks in a closed sterile room, so I will have plenty of time to contribute here!!

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

I hope all goes well for you. As for me, I had excellent news last week - the scanner showed that my lymphoma is in total remission, so now I can go into hospital this Wednesday and do the graft as planned. Four to six weeks in a closed sterile room, so I will have plenty of time to contribute here!!
              Very much the best to you, too. I do hope your closed sterile room has a good cooling system in place. The longest stay I have had in hospital was back in 1977, 3 months following a traffic accident, but that was in a general ward, (once out of the ICU). I was lucky to have had a generally very cheery set of medics. The house doctor was a nephew of Norman (Desmond's) Beaton and had a few ripe tales to tell about his uncle.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Re. Brahms's pianos. see https://scholarship.claremont.edu/cg...15&context=ppr

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

Very much the best to you, too. I do hope your closed sterile room has a good cooling system in place. The longest stay I have had in hospital was back in 1977, 3 months following a traffic accident, but that was in a general ward, (once out of the ICU). I was lucky to have had a generally very cheery set of medics. The house doctor was a nephew of Norman (Desmond's) Beaton and had a few ripe tales to tell about his uncle.
                  Oh yes, thankfully the room is very cool, and has to be totally germ free as my immunity system will be brought down to zero. It needs to be cool, our temperatures hit 39 degrees yesterday!
                  I remember Norman Beaton from my LWT days...The Fosters, which featured a very young Lenny Henry, too!

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

Bon courage, mon brave! Hope that it all goes well - and great news about the lymphoma.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Merci infiniment, Dougie! Yes, it was fabulous news and now I am keen to get cracking on this miracle process that will hopefully the banish the return of any further lymphoma. (lymphomae?)

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

... banish the return of any further lymphoma. (lymphomae?)
                        ... lymphomata, I think.

Delighted to hear your good news - all best wishes for the continuation...

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

I knew you would know the answer to that one, Vints! Many thanks for your kind support.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Oh yes, thankfully the room is very cool, and has to be totally germ free as my immunity system will be brought down to zero. It needs to be cool, our temperatures hit 39 degrees yesterday!
                            I remember Norman Beaton from my LWT days...The Fosters, which featured a very young Lenny Henry, too!
                            Norman Beaton was a very fine actor. He also featured in Drama on Radio 3, too. For instance:

31st March 1983:
                            19.45:
                            The British Empire by John Spurling
                            Part 2 of 3: The Christian Hero
                            Technical team: Carol McShane, David Chilton and Bert Coules
                            Directed by Richard Wortley
                            Burton: John Turner
                            General Wolseley: David Buck
                            Isabel Burton: Thelma Whitely
                            General Gordon: John Rowe
                            Jordan: Norman Beaton
                            Gladstone: David March
                            Also with Ronald Herdman, Anthony Newlands, Peter Baldwin, Stephen Thorne, Jim Reid, James Kerry, Charles Hodgson, Garrick Hagan,
                            Steve Hodson , Simon Hewitt Peter Tuddenham, Stuart Organ, Theresa Streatfeild, Geoffrey Kissoon, Anton Phillips, Frank Singuineau, Norman Beaton, Hugh Dickson, Joe Dunlop and Miranda Forbes
                            Repeated from 2nd December 1982
                            [Part 3 was in 1985- note that the BBC have no record of programs transmitted 2-15/4/83]

Due to industrial action no Radio Times was published covering the broadcast dates 2nd to 15th April 1983.
                            (My emphasis.)

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

My sister has kindly given me the Schiff Brahms as a birthday present . Looking forward to them.

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Norman Beaton was a very fine actor. He also featured in Drama on Radio 3, too. For instance:

(My emphasis.)
                                We're currently working our way through the final series of 'Desmond's'

Comment

Working...
                                X