Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

This is all very interesting. I would say that I know Mahler's symphonies and songs in some detail, but I have no clear image in my mind of this work. I think I've listened once or twice to the first Boulez recording but a long time ago, and I put the Gielen in my Qobuz Favourites when it came out (that's where I put things I'm planning to listen to but haven't yet had time, after which they either get sent back where they came from or transferred to one of my playlists) but haven't got any further. I see that the Haitink is combined with the Third Symphony on an "Originals" reissue. I think it's the kind of thing that Kubelik would have done really well, but his (live) recording isn't on Qobuz as far as I can see. Here

Discover the haunting beauty of Das Klagende Lied, a powerful orchestral work by composer Gustav Mahler.

is what is presumably a fairly authoritative list of released recordings.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      This is all very interesting. I would say that I know Mahler's symphonies and songs in some detail, but I have no clear image in my mind of this work. I think I've listened once or twice to the first Boulez recording but a long time ago, and I put the Gielen in my Qobuz Favourites when it came out (that's where I put things I'm planning to listen to but haven't yet had time, after which they either get sent back where they came from or transferred to one of my playlists) but haven't got any further. I see that the Haitink is combined with the Third Symphony on an "Originals" reissue. I think it's the kind of thing that Kubelik would have done really well, but his (live) recording isn't on Qobuz as far as I can see. Here

Discover the haunting beauty of Das Klagende Lied, a powerful orchestral work by composer Gustav Mahler.

is what is presumably a fairly authoritative list of released recordings.
      I have my doubts regarding some of the "1880 Original Version" attributions. As mentioned earlier, the Jurowski appears to be 2 harps and a boy alto short of the original scoring. I wish I could find my copy of the Nagano.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        the Jurowski appears to be 2 harps and a boy alto short of the original scoring
        Does the original scoring feature different parts for all six harps, I wonder? I'm guessing that there would be many unisons between them, so that the only real difference would be in volume, which isn't so important in a recording anyway.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Does the original scoring feature different parts for all six harps, I wonder? I'm guessing that there would be many unisons between them, so that the only real difference would be in volume, which isn't so important in a recording anyway.
          The Jurowski is a video of a concert performance at the RFH, 19th September 2007.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
            • Jan 2016

The Jurowski is a video of a concert performance at the RFH, 19th September 2007.
            That is clear.

Comment

• LHC
              • Jan 2011

I have my doubts regarding some of the "1880 Original Version" attributions. As mentioned earlier, the Jurowski appears to be 2 harps and a boy alto short of the original scoring. I wish I could find my copy of the Nagano.
              Jurowksi's performance does include a boy soprano in the last two movements.
              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                • Jan 2016

I'm listening to Gielen now. Very clear and atmospheric sound.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                  Jurowksi's performance does include a boy soprano in the last two movements.
                  But no boy alto. My understanding is that the original version had solo parts for both boy soprano and boy alto.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                    • Jul 2011

Just dug out my copy of the UE score used for the Nagano recording. Although six harps are listed as required, the footnote says "verdopplung von 2 notierten Harfen" and from a quick flick through I can only see one place where all six are used, for four bars of C major chords as the the chorus sings "Freude! Heia" at bars 85-8 of the "Hochzeitsstuck".

Mahler specifies two boy soloists as well as the adult vocal quartet.

Edit - there are also half a dozen places in the opening movement where M asks for six harps, sometimes in unison, sometimes 3 plus 3. There's one other short patch in the third mt too. Often he uses 4 harps, 2 plus 2. He's often getting them to play arpeggio figures, or chords with 8 notes, and I wonder whether he was simply after volume, or the effect of hearing several instruments playing the same thing but with tiny differences in timing to create that bardic quality which seems so appropriate to this rather grim legend. I can see I'm going to have to dig out the concert programme from '97 to see how many harps Nagano had on the platform!
                    Last edited by Roslynmuse; 30-03-21, 18:14. Reason: More info

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                      • Jul 2011

Found the programme - 7th October 1997 - and there were indeed six harps used!

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
                        I wonder whether he was simply after volume, or the effect of hearing several instruments playing the same thing but with tiny differences in timing
                        We'll never know of course but I'm inclined to think it's the former, since having multiple harps in unison is quite a common feature in the orchestral repertoire. Shostakovich for example usually writes for two harps which are always or almost always in unison, and I don't think he's generally aiming at a bardic quality! In Mahler's 8th Symphony at least four harps are needed but they never play more than two different parts. And so on.

edit: by the way I got to the end of the Gielen recording earlier on today, having started it a couple of times before being interrupted. Highly recommended. The final chord nearly knocked me out of my seat.
                        Last edited by Richard Barrett; 30-03-21, 20:10.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                          Alas, BBM, the Klagende Lied in the Universal, "Gustav Mahler: The Complete Edition", is the Chailly recording. I don't think that Abbado ever recorded it. The 'Knaben Wunderhorn' in the box is, though, the Abbado recording so not difficult to confuse the two works.
                          0089 477 8825 is the catalogue number. The box set is The Complete Gustav Mahler Edition.
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                            0089 477 8825 is the catalogue number. The box set is The Complete Gustav Mahler Edition.
                            I see a few online references to that release which mention the recording of Das klagende Lied or contain a complete tracklist with performers (Presto, Classics Today, jpc etc.) and they all say that it's the Chailly recording!

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

I see a few online references to that release which mention the recording of Das klagende Lied or contain a complete tracklist with performers (Presto, Classics Today, jpc etc.) and they all say that it's the Chailly recording!
                              It also sounds identical to the single-disc Chailly recording.

Comment

Working...
                              X