• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Mahler: Das Klagende Lied

This early work of Mahler's has long been a delight for me. Following up on a recent FB post re a live recording under Michael Gielen's direction led me to try and search out recordings of the original version (using the score made available in modern times in 1997). I have the Nagano but is that the only recordings of the original (as against the hybrid of the original Waldmärchen and revised Der Spielmann and Hochzeitsstück)? It would appear so.
  • LHC
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    This early work of Mahler's has long been a delight for me. Following up on a recent FB post re a live recording under Michael Gielen's direction led me to try and search out recordings of the original version (using the score made available in modern times in 1997). I have the Nagano but is that the only recordings of the original (as against the hybrid of the original Waldmärchen and revised Der Spielmann and Hochzeitsstück)? It would appear so.
    There is a DVD of the original 1880 version with the LPO and Vladimir Jurowski. It was also the opening concert of the restored Festival Hall in 2007, and Jurowski’s first concert as principal conductor of the LPO.
    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LHC View Post
      There is a DVD of the original 1880 version with the LPO and Vladimir Jurowski. It was also the opening concert of the restored Festival Hall in 2007, and Jurowski’s first concert as principal conductor of the LPO.
      Thanks for that. Not the easiest to find on amazon.co.uk, though. Searching for "Mahler Das Kladende Lied DVD" produced no results. However, using just "Vladimir Jurowski", with no mention of Mahler, did the trick. No great risk at £6.99 (New), including p&p, either. Duly ordered.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

You probably know that the cover CD of the February 2021 issue of BBC Music Magazine was the 2005 Proms performance under Donald Runnicles.

The article in the magazine says:

...nowadays the piece is often heard with its opening section 'Waldmärchen' (which was cut before the premiere) reinstated. This is how conductor Donald Runnicles and the BBC Symphony Orchestra performed Das klagende Lied at the 2005 BBC Proms concert heard on this month's cover CD.

I suspect that this is the hybrid that you mention, rather than the version that you are looking for.
        Last edited by Pulcinella; 12-03-21, 22:37.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
          • Jul 2011

Mention of the Nagano version takes me back to the circumstances of the recording, derived from live performances at the Bridgewater Hall. The soprano who sings on the recording was not the same soprano who sang in Manchester, and the boys' contributions were similarly dubbed in later.

The editor of the new edition whose name escapes me at the moment was at all the rehearsals and performances and I was given a pre-publication copy that I used in the piano rehearsals to fill in the bits that weren't in the usual vocal scores.

Donald Mitchell gave a pre-concert talk - very excited at getting back to Mahler's original thoughts - but the audience was pitifully small - more on the platform than in the auditorium. I haven't listened to that CD for years, but have fond memories of the piece itself.

Comment

• ChrisBennell
            • Sep 2014

The Jurowski performance with the LPO appears to be on Youtube. I assume its the same one, I haven't watched it yet but its certainly the 1880 version, with the LPO in the RFH!

See:

David Christopher Ragusa Boy SopranoMarisol Montalvo SopranoHedwig Fassbender Mezzo SopranoMichael Hendick TenorAnthony Michaelis Moore BaritonDas klage...

Comment

• Roslynmuse
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

...nowadays the piece is often heard with its opening section 'Waldmärchen' (which was cut before the premiere) reinstated. This is how conductor Donald Runnicles and the BBC Symphony Orchestra performed Das klagende Lied at the 2005 BBC Proms concert heard on this month's cover CD.

No idea if this is the version you're after or not!
              As I remember it there is a short passage in the Hochzeitsstuck that was excised later and the ending is IIRC slightly different; numerous orchestration changes too.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Thanks for that. Not the easiest to find on amazon.co.uk, though. Searching for "Mahler Das Kladende Lied DVD" produced no results. However, using just "Vladimir Jurowski", with no mention of Mahler, did the trick. No great risk at £6.99 (New), including p&p, either. Duly ordered.
                There could be a good (typo) reason for that!

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ChrisBennell View Post
                  The Jurowski performance with the LPO appears to be on Youtube. I assume its the same one, I haven't watched it yet but its certainly the 1880 version, with the LPO in the RFH!

See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT2NfbSj1RE
                  Nice one but I will await delivery of the DVD, which has 48/16 PCM 2-channel Stereo and 5.1 AC-3 (Dolby Digital lossy compression) surround.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    There could be a good (typo) reason for that!
                    Indeed but only in that post, not in the actual search. Using the same string, copied and pasted into duck-duck-go, led me to the correct amazon.co.uk page.

Looks like a count of the harps in the orchestra might be called for. If it's the original it should be 6 in all. I see one of the comments say there are 4 in this performance. That does not compute. Mahler's revision was surely from 6 to 2, not 4.

Definitely not the original version, but a revision prior to the removal of Waldmärchen.
                    Last edited by Bryn; 13-03-21, 02:18. Reason: Update.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
                      Mention of the Nagano version takes me back to the circumstances of the recording, derived from live performances at the Bridgewater Hall. The soprano who sings on the recording was not the same soprano who sang in Manchester, and the boys' contributions were similarly dubbed in later.

The editor of the new edition whose name escapes me at the moment was at all the rehearsals and performances and I was given a pre-publication copy that I used in the piano rehearsals to fill in the bits that weren't in the usual vocal scores.

Donald Mitchell gave a pre-concert talk - very excited at getting back to Mahler's original thoughts - but the audience was pitifully small - more on the platform than in the auditorium. I haven't listened to that CD for years, but have fond memories of the piece itself.
                      Many thanks for that, Roslynmuse.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Nice one but I will await delivery of the DVD, which has 48/16 PCM 2-channel Stereo and 5.1 AC-3 (Dolby Digital lossy compression) surround.
                        The Jurowski DVD arrived a few days ago but I have only just got round to spinning it. Just the one boy soloist (no boy alto) and just 4 harps, from what I can make out, 2 to her left and 2 to the right of the string sections*, so an interim version. Oh, and natural horns. Also, a very well behaved audience who waited a few seconds before applauding at the end. The claim, on the back cover, that the 2 channel stereo option offers PCM is false. As the disc menu and my player make clear, it's restricted to AC-3 (Dolby Digital) as is the 5.1 surround option. Still, better than nothing. Must find that Nagano 'studio' CD though. Not the tidiest of performances but it was a live filming. All in all, £6.99 well spent.

* Unless, that is, another 2 were in the off-stage band.
                        Last edited by Bryn; 25-03-21, 14:29. Reason: Afterthought.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

I have Abbado’s. Very fine it is, as well.
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                            I have Abbado’s. Very fine it is, as well.
                            Really? I thought he never got to record the work, not even in the two-movement revision.

"Das klagende Lied is probably the least-frequently performed or recorded of Mahler’s major works. Indeed, many of the leading Mahler interpreters - including Abbado, Bernstein, Solti and Tennstedt - may well have never performed it; certainly none of them recorded it." from http://musicweb-international.com/cl...e_ICAC5080.htm

Comment

• visualnickmos
                              • Nov 2010

Boulez. Excellent.

Comment

Working...
                              X