X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hmvman
    • Mar 2007

Rossini Stabat Mater - Pappano

I want to get a CD version of Rossini's Stabat Mater. I have an LP of the 1982 Muti recording which I like very much but I recall that Richard Osborne recommended the recent Pappano version in BAL back in April. I wonder if anyone can tell me if the Pappano is a live recording.

Thanks.
  • Curalach

It was recorded in the Sala Santa Cecilia but it is not a live recording with audience present. A very fine performance indeed.

Comment

• hmvman
      • Mar 2007

Thanks very much, Curalach. I'll get it ordered!

Comment

• Chris Newman
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Pappano's recording is very fine and operatic. I am still getting used to it having loved Ferenc Fricsay's ancient record, with a very reverential Giulini 1980's Philharmonia recording as a back up. Pappano's version is very exciting where he brings in the final fugal "In Sempiterna" without any break. I cannot find anything in the pamphlet and packaging to suggest that there was an audience.

By sheer coincidence I heard/watched another rather reverential version today on the ArteLive channel conducted by Myung-Whun Chung

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

I have it on that massive 30cd Harmonia Mundi Sacre Music box set. I ave always admired Pappano, so I will to!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
          X