X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterthekeys
    • Aug 2014

British winners of the Tchaikovsky Competition

Don't know if anyone else heard this morning's programme? During the discussion of new piano recordings, it was claimed that Barry Douglas was the first non-Russian pianist to win the Tchaikovsky competition since Van Cliburn. (I've just reviewed the programme online, to check that my ears didn't deceive me: unfortunately they didn't - it's at 1:59:00)

Obviously the researchers had failed to notice that John Ogdon won it in 1962 and John Lill in 1970. What an appalling snub to two great British pianists!
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Hmm: Barry Douglas won outright; both John Ogdon and John Lill shared the honour, Ogdon with Ashkenazy and Lill with Krainev, so perhaps technically what was said is true?

Comment

• CallMePaul
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      Hmm: Barry Douglas won outright; both John Ogdon and John Lill shared the honour, Ogdon with Ashkenazy and Lill with Krainev, so perhaps technically what was said is true?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inte...ky_Competition
      IIRC, Ashkenazy's name was removed from the prizewinners' list after he defected. I hope that it has since been restored to its rightful place.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

I think in the case of the Ogdon Ashkenazy result it was made clear by the jury that this wasn’t a “joint prize” but that theY were first prize winners in their own right. I think this distinction, which is slightly lost on me , was to recognise that both pianists were not just “ordinary” virtuosi but wholly exceptional pianists. And so their subsequent careers proved ....

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

The whole slot on piano releases was very poor imho, little or no insight from the reviewer who struggled to put together proper sentences.

Comment

Working...
          X