Wagner’s Tristan und Isolde conducted by Leonard Bernstein in Munich. Info required.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Wagner’s Tristan und Isolde conducted by Leonard Bernstein in Munich. Info required.

I have the highlights CD of Wagner’s Tristan und Isolde conducted by Leonard Bernstein and the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra & Choir on Philips 438 501-2. Peter Hofmann is Tristan and Hildegard Behrens is Isolde. The booklet notes state that the recording was made in Munich in 1981. I will be very grateful if someone is able to tell me where in Munich it was recorded and maybe also the date.
  • HighlandDougie
    • Nov 2010

See

Comment

• HighlandDougie
      • Nov 2010

I've been looking at the Bavarian RSO's history with various conductors and also found this (from the Gramophone)

WAGNER. TRISTAN UND ISOLDE. Peter Hof- mann (ten) Tristan; Hildegard Behrens (sop) Isolde; Yvonne Minton (m-sop) Brangane; Bernd Weikl (bar) Kurwenal; Hans Sotin (bass) King Marke; Heribert Steinbach (ten) Melot; Thomas Moser (ten) Sailor; Heinz Zednik (ten) Shepherd; Raimund Grumbach (bass) Helmsman; Bavarian Radio Chorus and Symphony Orchestra / Leonard Bern- st6in. Philips digital C) 6769 091 (five records, nas); a 7654 091. Notes, text and translation included. Recorded at performances in the Herkulessaal, Munich in January, May and November 1981. A co-production with Bavarian Radio, Munich.

I didn't get down to the exact dates. Hope this helps. HD

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

From "About this recording" by Erik Smith:

. . . it was decided to record in the following way: there would be concert performances with the Symphony Orchestra and Chorus of the Bayerische Rundfunk in the Herkulessaal in Munich, an act at a time with a few months in between. The dress rehearsal and two performances of each act would be recorded and followed (if necessary) by two days of remakes and corrections. One could therefore achieve the atmosphere and excitement of a live performance, but also the accuracy to which record-lovers have been accustomed by studio recordings . . .

The above from a booklet which accompanies the three chromium dioxide tapes (P) 1983.

Oops - only just seen HighlandDougie's post
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Thank you all for your help.

Comment

• ARBurton
            • May 2011

There is a video of a concert performance, available on the grey market from a US source.

Comment

Working...
            X