Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

I've just been listening to CD 6 of the set by the Talich Quartet on the French label, Caliope. It is to my ears, a very rewarding set of the string quartets, but I was shocked to see out of interest, how pricy it is on Amazon now.

Glad I got this some years ago when it was on promotion somewhere or other. The only other set I own of WAM's SQs is the Naxos set... despite not being particularly well reviewed (as far as I can see) it is also very rewarding.

If - and it's a very big 'if' I was eventually to go for a third set, I have no idea which to look for - possibly the Quartetto Italiano.

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

I've just been listening to CD 6 of the set by the Talich Quartet on the French label, Caliope. It is to my ears, a very rewarding set of the string quartets, but I was shocked to see out of interest, how pricy it is on Amazon now.
      The download price for the Talich is not that bad, visualnickmos:

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
        Bit milk and water for my taste, Micky.
        Interesting...they were recorded during the 80s I believe - I must get them down off the shelves again and have another listen.

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
          The download price for the Talich is not that bad, visualnickmos:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-The-C...=dmusic&sr=1-6
          Yes - not too bad, as you say. Still glad I have the CD format set, though(!) which includes a few "extras" as well; a few divertimenti, one or two violin sonatas and Eine Kleine... for example - oh and one of Haydn's SQs - for good measure.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            To my shame - apart from a Mosaiques recording of a couple of the quartets I have none of these on CD

Recommendations please - the Hagen set looks very reasonably priced and they were well reviewed in Gramophone. The Q/I appears to be deleted (outrageous) I have some of their recordings on old cassettes and I loved them .

In this repertiore I admire the recordings by the Alban Berg Quartet. I also think the Eder Quartet on Naxos is highly satisfying and certainly well worth obtaining. On period instruments the Quatuor Mosaiques are unsurpassable.

Comment

• Parry1912
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              In this repertoire I admire the recordings by the Alban Berg Quartet.
              Warner or EMI? Or both?
              Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Returning to this thread just to recommend that Jerusalem Quartet recording very strongly.

All three quartets are beautifully played and it is superbly recorded too . The Adagio of the Hunt in particular is exquisite.

Comment

Working...
                X