X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    I posted the link to them in #13...(not that long ago....!...scroll up people, as well as down...)...

Japanese Deccas of 1 & 3, sundry EMIs for the early 50s 2nd, I guess the Regis 1st is the same as the Decca....
    I can't help thinking you can do way better in this rep., but if it has to be the Wiener Philharmoniker, I guess it has to be....

So sad to see American cities up in flames, Richard....so, so unsettling to live with & through.... and the anger is so, so justified.... both US and UK are suffering terribly from poor leadership.....

I guess Brahms can help... the Requiem most of all, in the smoking, exhausted aftermath....
    Sorry...I didn’t mention that this link differs significantly from the Amazon U.S. offerings...
    My current favorite Brahms cycle is Paavo Jaarvi/Bremen, on a Blu Ray. Tempos are brisk with a good pulse maintained, singing lines, and transparent textures. My longstanding favorite cycle of a more traditional approach is Sanderling/Dresden. Cycles that I have lost some affection for are Klemperer, which now seems stiff and massive, and Andrew Manze, whose virtues have been equalled and surpassed by Jaarvi. I also have cycles be Levine (Chicago) and Szell, and the rest my Brahms are individual recordings. I also have Furtwangler.
    Still trying to figure out if I am able, or if it is safe, to go to work this morning...

Forgot to mention Janowski/Pittsburgh on Pentatone, which is really superb and an excellent multichannel recording
    Last edited by richardfinegold; 01-06-20, 11:51.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
      They've only ever recorded with living conductors!

Comment

• Goon525
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        Though it hasn’t always seemed that way.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          Have you got a link to this please? I can't find it.
          Now found it: https://www.discogs.com/Johannes-Bra.../master/877945

Would appear to be LP only.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Well if you're really mad keen......

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Well if you're really mad keen......
              https://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Brah...imited_5753689
              I think it'd be the shipping costs which would really put the costs up - if one wants that disc, my currency converter suggests it's "only" around £13 for the higher priced option.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                • Jan 2014

Or it looks like its included in this 58 CD Set (in stock at Presto) - excessive, I know, but if the CD from Japan got hit with the Parcelforce handling charge, then better value - per CD

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

It was part of an early 70s cycle 1 VPO, 2 BPO, 3 DSO, 4 LSO - I have the 2 and 4 on DG Privelege CDs but I don’t think 1 & 3 were issued.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    I think it'd be the shipping costs which would really put the costs up - if one wants that disc, my currency converter suggests it's "only" around £13 for the higher priced option.
                    2200 yen about £16.....

Comment

• LHC
                      • Jan 2011

2200 yen about £16.....
                      It appears to be available on Amazon UK for £20.
                      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                        Sorry...I didn’t mention that this link differs significantly from the Amazon U.S. offerings...
                        My current favorite Brahms cycle is Paavo Jaarvi/Bremen, on a Blu Ray. Tempos are brisk with a good pulse maintained, singing lines, and transparent textures. My longstanding favorite cycle of a more traditional approach is Sanderling/Dresden. Cycles that I have lost some affection for are Klemperer, which now seems stiff and massive, and Andrew Manze, whose virtues have been equalled and surpassed by Jaarvi. I also have cycles be Levine (Chicago) and Szell, and the rest my Brahms are individual recordings. I also have Furtwangler.
                        Still trying to figure out if I am able, or if it is safe, to go to work this morning...

Forgot to mention Janowski/Pittsburgh on Pentatone, which is really superb and an excellent multichannel recording
                        Very sympathetic to most of your choices here.... I would add Tapiola Sinfonietta/Venzago of course, but I suspect that would be a radical bridge too far for many....

Liverpool hearts are with you......
                        Liverpool players displayed a message of support by taking a knee around the centre circle at Anfield after the death in police custody of African-American George Floyd in Minneapolis.
                        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 02-06-20, 04:27.

Comment

• akiralx
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                          It appears to be available on Amazon UK for £20.
                          This is the Japanese set I have, via Tower - plus the Tchaikovsky set, though of course those recordings are easy to obtain, apart from the LSO Fifth perhaps. Both are 3CDs.

Last edited by akiralx; 02-06-20, 04:47.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

2200 yen about £16.....
                            I assume that's the shipping cost, not the item cost. That would bring the cost of getting it to the UK around £26-30 in total. Is it worth buying more from Japan in order to reduce the proportion of shipping cost, or does that would put up the import charges too much making the per item cost even more? I have bought from Japan on one occasion, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                              I have some of the earlier recordings with Janowski and the RLPO - but I assume that the Pentatone recordings surpass the earlier ASV issues and are worth looking out for.

A few years ago I would have put Levine quite high on my list, and I particularly like some of his earlier recordings. Unfortunately my list is now tempered by other non-musical aspects, which are a consideration for some of my other recordings on my favourites lists. Doesn't alter the quality of the music making though, but makes me think each time I hear or see performances by these people.

Comment

• akiralx
                                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                I assume that's the shipping cost, not the item cost. That would bring the cost of getting it to the UK around £26-30 in total. Is it worth buying more from Japan in order to reduce the proportion of shipping cost, or does that would put up the import charges too much making the per item cost even more? I have bought from Japan on one occasion, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.
                                For the VPO First there seem to be some on eBay, at least one from the US, postage free (to Australia where I am at any rate...) - item 142837982244.

Comment

Working...
                                X