X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    Having listened to substantial sections of the Bernstein set, I’m inclined to agree, although it has its moments.
    Probably no more listening today, we need to monitor the riots in Chicago
    Sorry to hear about the riots, though we have had protests in a few cities here.

We’re well away from those, but watching the string final of the BBC Young Musicians competition. Can you see that where you are? Not sure I can comment on the VPO in Brahms, though I’ve heard them live in other works, and in quite a number of other recordings.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      I never knew that, Alison. Was he dissatisfied with it? The Boston SO cycle of the symphonies is a great favourite of mine but I share your hope that the VPO recordings are still in the vaults and see the light of day.

There aren't as many VPO Brahms cycles as I'd thought there would be. I have Barbirolli, excellent in 1 & 2, a little too slow in 3 & 4 but the 1960s vintage VPO play like angels for him. I also have Kubelik and Böhm. Kubelik's is more fleet of foot than Böhm and is in mono but it's a joy to hear the VPO in Brahms whoever is on the podium. Pity Karajan didn't quite get there.
      Kubelik is stereo - albeit early Decca stereo - the CD transfers may not compare with later recordings but are very much better than the Ace of Diamonds LPs I had! Kertesz’ recordings of 1/3/4 were some of his last recordings - indeed the HV coupling was completed by the orchestra after his tragic death.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Kubelik is stereo - albeit early Decca stereo - the CD transfers may not compare with later recordings but are very much better than the Ace of Diamonds LPs I had! Kertesz’ recordings of 1/3/4 were some of his last recordings - indeed the HV coupling was completed by the orchestra after his tragic death.
        Apologies, I've just checked my copy of the VPO/Kubelik and it is indeed in stereo. There are VPO/Karajan recordings of 1, 2 & 3 but I can't find a 4th.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          Apologies, I've just checked my copy of the VPO/Kubelik and it is indeed in stereo. There are VPO/Karajan recordings of 1, 2 & 3 but I can't find a 4th.
          I didn’t realize that there were Von K recordings of 1-3 with the VPO. Perhaps the contents are buried in one of those mega boxes?

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Sorry to hear about the riots, though we have had protests in a few cities here.

We’re well away from those, but watching the string final of the BBC Young Musicians competition. Can you see that where you are? Not sure I can comment on the VPO in Brahms, though I’ve heard them live in other works, and in quite a number of other recordings.
            Well, the wife and I work in heavily minority inhabited areas, and many parts of the city are closed down, so even getting to work will be a challange and hopefully not landing in. The middle of a riot. Takes the mind off catching the virus from a patient, however

Comment

• bluestateprommer
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              Apparently Haitink recorded a Brahms cycle in Vienna which has never been issued. I hope it’s still in the vaults somewhere.
              Interesting to hear; where did you get this information? I ask because, at the risk of rubbing the wrong way, I had a look at the VPO's concert archive for Haitink conducting Brahms with the VPO. Of those 9 concerts, none of them featured any of the Brahms symphonies. So I wonder why such recordings would have been made, not tied to concerts. (FWIW, BH didn't conduct many Beethoven symphonies with the VPO either.)

Granted, the VPO recorded a full Sibelius symphony cycle for Decca with Maazel, and Maazel only conducted 2 of the Sibelius symphonies during the 1960's with the VPO in concert (1 and 5). So it is not beyond the realm of possibility that the VPO would record with Haitink "in the studio", not tied to concerts. But, IMHO, it would seem odd.

Comment

• akiralx
                • Oct 2011

I do know that my favourite B3 is VPO/Levine, superbly done especially the finale, played with real fire. I only have that and the First from the cycle.

I am quite fond of the VPO/Bohm B2 as well.

There is also an old Abbado recording of B1 from his multi-orchestra cycle, which I have on a Japanese CD reissue (not as good as his later BPO set).

Last edited by akiralx; 01-06-20, 05:15.

Comment

• vibratoforever
                  • Jul 2012

When recording three of the symphonies in December 1967, Barbirolli gave a concert with the VPO which included the 4th, as well as Mozart's Linz. Comparing the live 4th to the studio recording showed the usual result, a swifter performance and ultimately more convincing. The Linz is available on Youtube

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                    They've only ever recorded with living conductors!
                    Not quite true. Kertesz died before Decca had completed his VPO recording of Brahms’s St Antony Variations, so the orchestra recorded the final variation without the conductor.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

I didn’t realize that there were Von K recordings of 1-3 with the VPO. Perhaps the contents are buried in one of those mega boxes?
                      1 & 3 were Decca recordings c1960 and 2 an early recording (late 40s?) on EMI!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Looking at my Brahms symphony recordings, they’re almost all VPO recordings: Bernstein, Barbirolli, Abbado, Kertesz, Furtwangler, C Kleiber, Levine, Giulini.
                        M

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by akiralx View Post
                          I do know that my favourite B3 is VPO/Levine, superbly done especially the finale, played with real fire. I only have that and the First from the cycle.

There is also an old Abbado recording of B1 from his multi-orchestra cycle, which I have on a Japanese CD reissue (not as good as his later BPO set).

Claudio Abbado’s recording is worth considering.
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

I posted the link to them in #13...(not that long ago....!...scroll up people, as well as down...)...

Japanese Deccas of 1 & 3, sundry EMIs for the early 50s 2nd, I guess the Regis 1st is the same as the Decca....
                            I can't help thinking you can do way better in this rep., but if it has to be the Wiener Philharmoniker, I guess it has to be....

So sad to see American cities up in flames, Richard....so, so unsettling to live with & through.... and the anger is so, so justified.... both US and UK are suffering terribly from poor leadership.....

I guess Brahms can help... the Requiem most of all, in the smoking, exhausted aftermath....
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 01-06-20, 09:39.

Comment

• LHC
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              I posted the link to them in #13...(not that long ago....!)...

Japanese Deccas of 1 & 3, sundry EMIs for the early 50s 2nd, I guess the Regis 1st is the same as the Decca....
                              The HVK Decca Brahms performances are also on the recently released Decca HVK big box set.
                              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by akiralx View Post

Have you got a link to this please? I can't find it.
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X