X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Chopin Institute Box Set

I've been waiting for these Chopin Institute recordings on period pianos to come out in a box set for a long while - they are finally here on Amazon France at just over 100 euros for 21 discs, which I suppose is pretty good value. Will the price be lower on other websites, I wonder?

• Il Grande Inquisitor
    • Mar 2007

Very, very interested in this set, MickyD, after the fascinating overview of them on CD Review some weeks ago; some wonderful timbres elicited from the period pianos. Nigel Simeone included reviews of several of the individual issues in a comprehensive 'round-up' in November's IRR.

I shall investigate prices UK companies are offering before placing an order.
    Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• pilamenon
      • Nov 2010

There will be a lot of duplication of works if it is the entire set of individual issues.

I haven't heard any of them, but have been enjoying the sound of the Pleyel in the recent Chopin disc by Edna Stern. That's a recommendable recording.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Pilamenon, I think the set is concerned only with the recordings on early pianos, so presumably no duplications. Like you, Il Grande Inquisitor, I am eager to snap this up, having held off from the separate issues up to now. I think it's best to wait a wee while before buying - we might be lucky and enjoy a price war.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Micky D - I have been - happily if laboriously - collecting these as individual CDs. Lucky you, if you are getting them as a box...

Go on, you won't regret it!

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Vinteuil, a recommendation from you is enough for me to go ahead! Though I have just splashed out on the Robert King complete Vivaldi Sacred Music box, too - I'm really looking forward to the delights of that.

Comment

Working...
            X