X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

The Columbia Bruno Walter Edition

I saw this was out and Amazon seem to have knocked £100 or so off the price mentioned in Record Review .

Anyone splashed out on it ? I have pretty much all his CBS recordings collected often second hand in recent years . Are the remastering much improved ?

I thought the Record Review piece was pretty superficial but plus ca change .
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I saw this was out and Amazon seem to have knocked £100 or so off the price mentioned in Record Review .

Anyone splashed out on it ? I have pretty much all his CBS recordings collected often second hand in recent years . Are the remastering much improved ?

I thought the Record Review piece was pretty superficial but plus ca change .
    Do you mean this 77 CD set? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruno-Walte...1431810&sr=8-6

Doesn't look particularly cheap - I think I missed the earlier box when it came out. Allegedly some of the SACD (only?) versions were worth having, but CBS/Sony gave up on those pretty quickly.

There is a 39 CD set available as a used item for around £85 - which looks a few years old now.

That's in the LP size box, which some round here really dislike.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

That’s the one the 77 CD set released recently.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Yes, I bought this set as a Christmas/retirement present to myself

I had a fair few of the CDs in previous incarnations but the re-masterings done here supersede all others of those I've so far heard, in my view. What you have here are all of Walter's recordings made for Columbia since 1941 until his death in 1962 and are with the New York Philharmonic and Columbia Symphony Orchestras and Included are interviews, rehearsal and promotional (originally not for sale) discs.

One oddity is the 1949 Beethoven Choral. Apparently, once the records were issued, Walter decided that he was dissatisfied with the chorus/orchestra balance in the finale and convinced Columbia to re-record the finale alone in 1953. This they did and offered to exchange the 1949 finale disc (lacquer) to those who had purchased the 1949 set for the 1953 finale on condition that they handed in the old one, thus taking it out of circulation. Happily, both versions are included in the set.

Walter was one of the great conductors of the 20th century. Brahms and Bruckner were alive and active in Walter's career and his personal friendship with Mahler is well known so this set is recommendable for these reasons alone. As icing on the cake, the set comes with a fine 'coffee table' hardback book.

My advice would be to get it while it's available. It's given me much pleasure since Christmas and I'm sure there's much more to come.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

My advice would be to get it while it's available. It's given me much pleasure since Christmas and I'm sure there's much more to come.
          You weren't supposed to give me that advice. I could buy it, or ask for it as a birthday present - though the latter could be counter-productive, as I might not be allowed to buy any more CDs for a long while afterwards!

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            You weren't supposed to give me that advice. I could buy it, or ask for it as a birthday present - though the latter could be counter-productive, as I might not be allowed to buy any more CDs for a long while afterwards!
            It could be worth waiting until the price drops. It could also be worthwhile checking out the next Presto boxed set sale somewhere around October. I say this because I also purchased (again as a retirement gift) the Leonard Bernstein Re-Mastered Edition in the last pre-Christmas boxed set sale at £90 - it's now back in the main listing at £260.25 .

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

It could be worth waiting until the price drops. It could also be worthwhile checking out the next Presto boxed set sale somewhere around October. I say this because I also purchased (again as a retirement gift) the Leonard Bernstein Re-Mastered Edition in the last pre-Christmas boxed set sale at £90 - it's now back in the main listing at £260.25 .
              I sometimes do that, but then sometimes things disappear before the price goes down. I already have quite enough Bernstein for the moment, but the Bruno Walter set sounds very good, even though I've probably got quite a lot of them on CD or LP already.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

I've swithered about buying this box since it appeared - and was also tempted by the Presto offer last year. A casual browse of Ebay brought up a copy for £60 - unopened but damaged corner of the box (didn't look too catastrophic in the accompanying photo), hence the low price. Impossible to resist at that price. Alas, no Bruno Walter - as yet.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                  I've swithered about buying this box since it appeared - and was also tempted by the Presto offer last year. A casual browse of Ebay brought up a copy for £60 - unopened but damaged corner of the box (didn't look too catastrophic in the accompanying photo), hence the low price. Impossible to resist at that price. Alas, no Bruno Walter - as yet.
                  Yes but it may buck the trend as did the Szell box!

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    Yes but it may buck the trend as did the Szell box!
                    Yes, I bought the Szell for Christmas 2018 from Amazon at £199.99. It seems to have disappeared off Presto but Amazon sellers are offering it at a whopping £475

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

It will probably have Kathleen Ferrier on it! No thanks.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                        It will probably have Kathleen Ferrier on it! No thanks.
                        No BBM - Ferrier and Walter recorded for Decca and EMI not CBS/Sony - you can have Mildred Miller’s vastly inferior Das Lied though.

Comment

• johnb
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          No BBM - Ferrier and Walter recorded for Decca and EMI not CBS/Sony - you can have Mildred Miller’s vastly inferior Das Lied though.
                          That reminds me of Lady Barbirolli in a R3 programme many, many years ago saying that Barbirolli had wanted to record Geronius with Ferrier but couldn't because they were contracted to different recording companies.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

I have succumbed to temptation - I think I would regret not getting it before its likely early deletion . I missed the Eugene Istomin and Stoky sets that way although I was lucky to pick up a cheap second hand copy of the latter.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                              That reminds me of Lady Barbirolli in a R3 programme many, many years ago saying that Barbirolli had wanted to record Geronius with Ferrier but couldn't because they were contracted to different recording companies.
                              Yes a great shame that.

Comment

Working...
                              X