X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Hugo Wolf’s Mörike-Lieder

A number of Hugo Wolf’s 53 Mörike-Lieder for voice and piano (1888) to text by Eduard Mörike have been orchestrated. I am enjoying the live 1988 Paris accounts of 3 of the Mörike Lieder performed by Waltraud Meier with the Orchestre de Paris under Daniel Barenboim. In der frühe; Denk’es, o Seele and Wo find’ich Trost. Does anyone know who prepared the orchestrations? I was wondering if was Wolf himself?
  • Roehre

Originally posted by Stanford's Legacy View Post
    A number of Hugo Wolf’s 53 Mörike-Lieder for voice and piano (1888) to text by Eduard Mörike have been orchestrated. I am enjoying the live 1988 Paris accounts of 3 of the Mörike Lieder performed by Waltraud Meier with the Orchestre de Paris under Daniel Barenboim. In der frühe; Denk’es, o Seele and Wo find’ich Trost. Does anyone know who prepared the orchestrations? I was wondering if was Wolf himself?
    These orchestrations are Wolf's own:
    In der frühe: 1888 orch 1890
    Denk’es, o Seele: 1888 orch 1891
    Wo find’ich Trost: 1888 orch 1890

altogether Wolf orchestrated some 30 of his Lieder

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
      These orchestrations are Wolf's own:
      In der frühe: 1888 orch 1890
      Denk’es, o Seele: 1888 orch 1891
      Wo find’ich Trost: 1888 orch 1890

altogether Wolf orchestrated some 30 of his Lieder

Hello Roehre,

Many thanks indeed. I asked because my re-issued copy of the 3 Mörike-Lieder sung by Waltraud Meier on Apex 2564 67539-2 contains no booklet notes at all. As you probably know the disc of orchestral songs: Mahler Kindertotenlieder; Wagner Wesendonck-Lieder and Wolf 3 Mörike-Lieder was originally released on Erato 0603 14070-2 and then re-issued on Elatus 2564604392. I would be interested in reading more about Wolf and I was wondering if you got your information on the 3 Mörike-Lieder from the Erato/Elatus releases? If so I might well obtain a copy myself for the booklet notes. Thanks again Roehre.

Comment

• verismissimo
        • Nov 2010

Stanford's, for me the essential books on Wolf are Frank Walker's Hugo Wolf: A Biography and Eric Sams's The Songs of Hugo Wolf.

Best value introduction to much of his work is the EMI Anniversary Edition. Eight CDs in good performances and recordings for under £20.

For me he's probably the most important of all the many neglected composers.

Comment

Working...
        X